Discussion » Nonsense » Horn Honking

• Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    As an American who has had the pleasure to go to China (Beijing/Sichuan/Shanghai/Suzhou/hangzhou, other than the "hole" the thing I noticed that was so different was the insessant 'horn honking"

Can someone explain to me the reason it is required in the driving. I live in an urban area near Washington DC, and it may be months before I hear a horn honk, and LOL I do it myself just to honor my friends in China..

Seems to me the longer the honk, the more important one is, if as to say"I am so important, clear the road for me". One taxi I was in honked the horn for a whole block. Nice to know the driver had a VIP with him in the car.....talking about my Chinese fiancee of course.

Well, I just thought it so interesting. Honestly, when my fiancee, who will have married me in Nanjing, comes to the USA, I think the biggest culture difference to her will be the horn honk! Perhaps i can make a tape of horn honking to soothe her mind and make her feel at home.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Honking and bell-ringing is just a way to say, "Look out buddy... I'm behind you." In traffic jams, it's a form of catharsis. And for aloof drivers, it's a way to say, "Pay attention, asshole. You're blocking traffic."
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    So funny guys...I agree with both of you. Just a funny observation. It seems to work and seems to clear the way ahead for the one with the horn. BTW is there an unwritten rules who gives right of way? newer car? more expensive car? I never saw very many accidents in all the cities I was in...no police, all over the road,,,so interesting...and in the cities almost no gas stations either.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

In a city where pedestrians and bicycles out-numbered privately owned vehicles, the honking might be necessary ... though I wonder if these same people were driving in foreign land, they will survive one day without getting a ticket or "the finger" ...
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Hahahahaah so funny..honestly even in our big cities one seldom hears the horn honk..ahhahahaha so right..like I said I hope my friiend can take it!
  • KA
    KA wrote:
    If you serious about honk taping, I feel bad about you finacee.
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Masha, lighten up..I was kidding of course dear. I think she will enjoy the peace and tranquility...no thew horn honking bothers her because she lives on the low level on a major street and when we do video chats or talk by phone, i hear it at all hours day and nite!

Joseph, you seem to be a good driver, yes we might honk the horn on a weaving driver not respecting th passing lanes or a crude 2 lane driver...it is also a safety thing...that said ZI have seen driver (and been in those taxis, where the horn is on more than off...just a fundamental difference in culture...to save the lives of the many pedestrians.

I had a friend tell me in Chengdu when I told her my Chengdu gf got her license..her very words to me "another murderer on the road".
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

umm…explain the reason? reason for what? can someone explain the reason why all cars produced all over the world and sell to all over the world are all equipped with horn with no exception? and can someone explain the reason why there are almost no horn honk in the DC? I honk when pedestrains block my way, or someone in front of me drives crasy. Yeah i think i already get used to such a noise, so what I care abt the traffic thing is only its efficiency and accident rate. I'm not so satisfied on the efficiency of current BJ communication system, partly because crude drivers, partly becoz bad urban planning. Actually im ok on the accident rate data, seems lower than most world major cities:of coz, lower average speed is a big factor.

• Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Interesting points DF. The horn is there as safety equipment, probably intended to be used to warn of imminent danger ahead ie pedestrians, unsafe drivers. that said I have observed drivers from all over the world...and there is no question the Chinese ride their horns exceedingly more than any other country that I have been in. Perhaps it is more in other countries.hahaha I just haven't been everywhere. And yes, the sppeeds are kept low thank God.

well, its a culture thing for sure, and custom dictates this action. As point out China has more pedestrians, bike riders ( I am still in awe..come to a major US city, and you might not see a bike rider..mmm another blog) mopeds, motorcycles, and tricycles than any other country of the world...hahaha like swarms of busy bees everywhere. Gotta love China and its people.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Relax, Da Fan. Some folks don't have the keen insight to observe the world around them and draw reasonable conclusions on their own.

Maybe we should install a virtual horn on this forum. What do you think?
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

Yeah, I'm honking my virtual horn now, can you hear it? "than ANY other country" man?

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I can hear it all the way from Xinjiang. Or maybe that's the traffic outside. Can't really tell.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

seems that you got too much "awes"…awe for what? awe for other people's daily lives? inteseting. Wow, most US cities seem like some 3rd world towns, wow, no pedestrains there, all dead? wow, they still using 50 years ago tech in public communication! wow, most pals there are using outdated mobile phones. Should I awe on these? Nope~all these are just part of my lovely US friends' daily life, that's it. The world is big, waiting us to explore, but before your "adventurous" tour, prepare your heart big enough first. How wide you vision is, how much similarities you could sense

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

comments above all @Steven~ I'm in inner Mongolia now,haha

• Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Pete, funny, and good perspective..people sometimes just need to lightenn up...its fun and interesting to make observsations of peoples either from your own world, or that of others. The whole spectrum of these forums is that "virtual horn" of ideas and thoughts..

DF...I hear your tooting here in DC.

Pete, what in the world would you be doing in Xinjiang?? If I had married my BJ gf, we would have flown out there for the wedding, and taken a long bus ride to her home town, which I have been told it might be a bit dangerous....Well, with my Suzhou sweety, I won't have to go far out.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Steven: I'm not in Xinjiang. I thought Da Fan was there because he mentioned being in the desert on another thread.

While I respect and admire your unflagging optimism about the China experience, between you, me and the rest of the forum, the constant mention of your flock of Chinese girls, sweethearts, fiancees and babes is getting a bit weird. Makes you come off as you're compensating for something.

I'm glad you found happiness with the opposite sex, but man, give it a break.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

Sorry, Steven, I used some very improper ways to expresse my feelings in another tread, due to English improficiency. Luckily now I leart a much decent way: are u compensating for sth when keeping on repeat your babe, fiancee, sweety things, as well as your unknown "big company"? Well, judged by Chinese culture, all these are clear sign of "hollow inside" and "unconfident", I believe you dont have any of these characters, am I right?

• Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Pete...sorry in 2 years I have had 3 sweet friends in 3 cities...nothing unusual about that...still friends with everyone....I had to laugh..no flock here and none intended. that said I have come to love and respect the Chinese peoples.

DF, I surely am confident and not shallow. i am surely older than everyone I have seen here, and in many cases double, so I do have more years of certain experiences, just not the Chinese cultural ones...many of which I respect and admire. Sometimes mentioning a relationship or experience fives context to where you are from, have come from and where one is going. People should lighten up on many of these issues and not take it so personally. Personally I have enjoyed this forum...it is not my intention to be the most loved/liked/charmed/ person here, but to sometimes spark debate and discussion...In most of my forums I have succeeeded.

Pete..I appreciate your advices and comments. zaijian

Da Fan..my company, Dulles Baggage Services Inc, at Washington Dulles Airport, outside of Washington DC USA is real. I am the COO and co-owner, has been real for over 20 years. We bought this little company 20 years ago servicing 5 airlines, now we do the luggage deliveries for over 40 (exclusively). Yes, Da Fan, we are very real. I retired from United Airlines is why I can go to China so easily.when I feel like it. Any other questions about my "real"company DF. DF I enjoy tou too.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Steven ... just my two mao ... to have such big corp/business, I think it is reasonable to expect a web site, so, let's give us that link ... and I imagine that web site has your photo and past achievements, so to save us time and trouble, please give us that shortcut too ...

Another thing, if you have a personal blog, with some photos of your achievements, previous romance, travel and "conquests", please let us know ... as Pete said, but in my own words, keep babbling about how romantic and successful you are, you'd better have something to support it ...

I myself, dont have much achievement but I enjoy eating and dining ... a lot ... (damn shame, I cannot drink) ... so I wrote two receipes in the forum ... however, due to the new format, they seem to have all but disappeared? Pete, where is that thread by the way?

Thanks guys ... by the way, Sydney is lovelier than I remember ... heehee
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    So funny! Not all businesses use a web site. We are not selling our services to the general public, in fact as a rule, we prefer to be low key, because of the nature of our work for the 40 airlines...delivering all their mishandled bags, which is tens of thousands a deliveries every year. Thank God I have had a great staff and dedicated driversover these many years. BTW, if you come to Washington DC (or wish to verify this), call me at my company at 703-661-6000. We go by ABC (Airport Baggage Courrier) d/b/a Dulles Baggage Services Inc. So see, I am hiding nothing...why? Some might, not me. I am happy and proud with the company I have built up in these 20 years.

Now, about my "conquests," I am really amused. Where have I said I conquored anyone...just made friends. I like the simple things like food, nature, and friendships. So what if I have had friends in 3 locations, ending up with a fiancee in Suzhou....there are no "conquests ever" just friendships. Well getting Christy to marry possibly. God gave me a gift! I have a space in Spaces under my name(stevenritter.live.spaces), but with my divorce pending this February with my Russian vixen wife, I have kept it low key for that reason. Anything else??

Are we not all after the same thing..a good and happy life...most of my blogs are observations and discussions. Now really, I have said far more than I should have..but you pressed me. I would rather know more about my new friends in China...they are the ones I am interested in, so that they can explain their culture and ways to me..Very exciting for me.

Would love to go to Sydney..I hear it is a nice place...and a few more hours in the air. :)
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Joseph, thx for the advice, howver there is a biggggg misconception that I came to "screw the ladies and take their money", both inaccurate.....I had mentioned 3 friends from 3 different and distinct areas, one of which I am marrying. Never ever was the word conquest or sex mentioned..none of anyones business. Perhaps something came across wrongly, but suredly not on purpose. If anything happened is that I spent a lot of money touring the country. I truly enjoyed meeting and making friends all over China.

No need to further explain anything...I have done this enough. I take my honesty and candor seriously, and without remorse...I doubt few would do this. No big deal.

Beep beep beep!!
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    While we understand that you have 3 different friends in 3 cities, the constant insertion in every thread, whether or not related to the topic at hand, comes off as both boastful and jingoistic.

Considering you're 58, Steven, and are sparring with some highly-educated (and bright) young Chinese, think about how both the generation gap and China's phenomenal entrance to a globalized economy affects the conversation.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha... Joseph, such poetic use of the S word ... if you can make it rhyme, it will be even better ...
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Umm...there comes a real douche bag in this tread...got no insight at all but only daydreaming. Too young or...need to compensate for sth, or get spoiled? donno~Steven, I'd rather believe you're a cool guy. you seem not shallow at all, coz at least you got some opinions, no matter I agree or not.

My suggestion is sincere, Steven: tell us your romance stories and share with us your experience in business field when the conversation come to the relevant topic, or it seems quit weird. Don't you think so?
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Interesting,,I can see Pete's point of view....sometimes we don't realize things unless they are ;pointed out..thanks. I can handle critiisms...one thing though..was never intended to be boastful, but to set up certain things in context...no need to make further unneeded references....and yes there are many people here that I think brilliant and interesting.

Da Fan..xie xie for the compliments...would love to get with you sometime when I go to BJ. I wish my stories were more romantic, but for sure all time spent touring China was enjoyable..no regrets anywhere, anytime..and I look forward to my trip to Shanghai/Suzhou and teaching English to 40 students next month. I do enjoy a good forum on a variety of subjects...romance, tourism, business, and casual observations.....and its fun to respond to others.......................so enjoy the ideas.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Sure, Steven~

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.