Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » What does self-criticism meant in Chinese culture?

• KA
    KA wrote:
    I have huge appreciation and respect for China, and I want to know more about the country and its people. One thing I always wonder since I met first person in China is, what that meant when someone who just met start criticizing oneself. "I am sorry, My English is so poor", "I am so lazy, I should study more", "I am lazy" "I am that or I am this"...it could continue endless. I think everyone has self-critical thoughts, but in some cultures people would not tell it out openly, unless you really did something wrong to the person. Just in case to be identified as a man with personal issues. Here, I am not judging or argue about this cultural norm. I only want to know what kind of message they are sending by those words...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Just a show of being humble ... it is part of the culture ...
  • John
    John wrote:
    You can't make it here unless you're good at 废话 and man are these guys goooooood!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... in Hong Kong, we made joke of that ... 肺话, instead of 废话, because you must use the lungs ... huh? no one is laughing? oh, sorry, need more practice ...
  • John
    John wrote:
    哈!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

You guys are a tough audience ...
  • 韩国海
    韩国海 wrote:
    Hello, nice to meet you
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    In my 2 year search for a Chinese wife i have had many girls "apologize" for their poor English, when ih fact it was quite good, and for sure better than my limited hanyu. Perhaps it is natural for one to announce whatever shortcomings they may have in advance, thus lowering the expectations. To that end, it tends to put each other on the same level.
  • Zhishi Ruguo
    Zhishi Ruguo wrote:
    Sometimes u have to turn a deaf ear to these 废话, just like I do. Why people start self-criticism? Because they don't want to be criticized by others. Criticism from others is humiliation, most of the times, while self-criticising is the opposite.
  • Anne-Line Søderholm
    Has it been like this since the beginning or came as a virtue after cultural revolution? Self-criticism doesn’t have anything to do with being humble, nowadays it mean to put shit on yourself in front of opposition; then be ready, once the opposition believed you’re in total shit then hit back, put that much shit on them the way they cannot stand on their feet anymore. That’s the rule of engagement!
  • Zhishi Ruguo
    Zhishi Ruguo wrote:
    Sheryl, I agree with you. I was just kidding.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.