Discussion » Current Events » China ..a future super power

  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Chinese rightfully pride themselves in a culture steeped in tradition and history. Why is it that a country with thousands of years of history is "called a developing country". China has such a wealth of natural resources and its people are its greatest resource. Sadly it seems that many of my educated Chinese friends get out of college/university and either can't find work or work in a low level job not related to their skill or education...and they may be the lucky ones working. I have a Fuzhou friend who graduated near the top of her class in international finance was only able to find a low paying, 6 days a week job selling chop sticks on the internet/phone and so unhappy..I have other friends in similar situations. I predict China will become a super power, but only after it finds a way to utilize its citizens and young people to the fullest.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    I was going to say that the term "developing" is a western definition, and then I changed my mind ...

    As you have said, China has very rich resources, including raw material and people, but the most important is the "system", which utilises such resources, and until the system is mature, it remains to be "developed" ...

    I also believe that China will become a super power one day, and then foreigners will want to migrate here and proud to be known as Chinese citizens, but until then, Chinese will still be desparate to leave the country, hoping for better life overseas ...

  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Peter and my other friend, I couldn't agree with you more..You are both on target. While surely China is a "major force" only the USA could be defined as the super power of the world, with its sphere of influence in military unmatched all over the3 world, it's economic reach everywhere, the standard of living in the average American household is decades ahead of the Chinese, and the world still trades in dollars. In the "global warming" contreversy, both China and India are given a pass to pollute the air (such bad air quality in many Chinese cities) as "deloping nations".

    Now Peter, I love China and consider it my second home. One day I may choose to retire and live in China with my Chinese wife..city to be determined. I will always keep my US citizenship for certain protections and ease of travel. I have enjoyed your insight and commentary.
  • KA
    KA wrote:
    I agree China will be a powerful country within the international community. But I am not sure China will take over United States by that unique, diversified cultural phenomena. As Peter said, immigrants flocked to America in the 19th and 20th centuries. At then, most of the land was not used except few regions where Native Americans lived. China is already over populated and they might not need foreigners that long. They already have enough potential inside and outside its borders. Every year, there are if not thousands, hundreds of Chinese ethnicities who born outside coming back to China. If you see, most of them are very attached with Chinese culture no matter where they come from.
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    I agree with both Paulina and my new friend Masha. Paulina - the world is diversifying. As an example is my marrying a Chinese girl next year. China does have such many dibersities in both its Han majority and the many ethnic minorities. over the past couple of years I have made friends in Beijing, Shenyang, Xi'an, Chengdu, Fuzhou, Shanghia/Suzhou, Shenzhen, Nanjing, and Guangzhou..and I have seen certain differences and certain likeness......all such a beautiful diversity..all with good cultural values. I agree with you..China's beauty is its differences than its likeness to USA (a reason for marrying Chinese not American) That said we all share certain inherant values.

    Masha...there will be a time when China will catch up with America in a developmental sense. You go to Shanghai and the landscape gives you saw an awesome feeling. America is still the most diverse country in the world, with so many peoples blending together for the good of the country. I have had several friends tell me of their desire to return to China when their kids are grown.....I may be one of them. Good discussion.
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    I would guess more Chinese immigrate to USA than vice-versa..and that is a great thing for America. The Chinese, as a rule fit in better than almost any other peoples, except perhaps the Canadians, because they assimilate so well, The test results in our schools show the Asians with the highest of test scores. In my vast circle of friends, the Chinese seem to have very good, well paying jobs, due to their inttellect and hard work.

    Paulina, of course China has a diverse culture, yet I was told that a big difference in our cultures was that generally the Chinese do not question their bosses or government, where we do this as common practice..hahahaha I am the boss/owner of a company of 100 people..funny, I get few people questioning my policies/decisions...but I would accept their input.

    Yes, Zhaohong..what do with the millions of educated people/graduates?? We have the same problem, but on a much smaller scale of course. The key in capitalism is new jobs will take care of this problem over time and China seems to be heading this way...just a matter of time.
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    I love to hear people talking about capitalism as a cure all. Steven for a lucky few capitalism is great. Ummmm like 1 percent of the population. The other roughly 90 percent of that capitalist society get to foot the bill of protecting the vast interests of that 1% with little thanks. Just look how we hand money to those pukes when they cannot handle the market and keep it afloat because of their own greedy policies. The other 9% are very poor and below the poverty line without even proper health care resources, neighborhoods, or housing. The USA is my home for now, but I am beginning to loose faith in our exploitative ways. Socialist Democracy with mild capitalist tendencies would do it for me. Noone needs so much wealth when so many suffer.

    I came to China this year because I literally could not make more that 1,000 dollars a month in Hawaii because of the market crash due to those jackass banks and the panic they sent rippling across the world. So everyone's market crashed across the world, so our "developed nation" could experiment with the market lol that is so funny. Do not get me wrong I like money, but we should all realize that capitalism is not the end. It is the means to an end. It creates to many inequalities that need to be addressed. I was just thinking the other day that China was going to become the place to live in about 20 years because of the way they are progressing. They are not only progressing in development, but also in government, and environmental policies. It is not something that we announce in our news often, "Wait actually not at all!" But although China is the biggest polluter, they have actually made the biggest improvements out of any country in the world over the past three years. Actually they improved more than all other countries combined! China has passed the USA in pollution, however they will never pass us in total cumulative emissions over the last centuries. When the US was in China's stage of development we polluted way more and our environmental impact was way worse, but we did'nt have anyone advising us to clean up, so we did it ignorantly. At least they are making an effort. They signed and ratified the Kyoto protocal, whereas the USA still has not ratified that treaty. Not to mention the NPT for the nonproliferation of nuclear weapons. The USA has yet to ratify that treaty yet we like to stop others from doing the things we do because that is how we gain an edge. I anjoy being an American, but that is because humans are pleasure seekers by nature. I am guilty of being a greedy bastard too. However, that can all change when we open our eyes to the outside world and realize that the big peaceful rich Dragon is building alliances with everyone and bringing up the rear faster than we are spreading our influence. The US has leadership now, but people are growing weary especially with the human rights claims we are always making while we have so many violations against human rights right in our own country being systematically normalized. Take our American native population for example. We are still pursuing their destruction within our country. We have the largest racist population in the world. Being an American is great, but its great because we can change it instead of just being content. If the USA continues on the old path I will move to China and keep both passports =) I can struggle against the system in China just as I have all my life in America. Its nothing new. You wanna see a developing country go to Africa. China is already a superpower! I can back up everything I said except my opinions with hard evidence and References.

    Dude I love your topics Steven! Thank you for the stimulating conversations. I know I come on strong and arguminative, but I just get so excited. Do not get me wrong I am American through and through, but I think our policies are shit. We should stop pointing fingers and fix ou
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Ahhh ... the magic words: "poverty line" ... consider the "80/20" theory, i.e. 20% of the population holds 80% of the wealth, whereas 80% holds 20% of the wealth, and that is the difference between developing and developed countries ...

    In most of the western world, and maybe Japan too, this is nearly correct, however for countries like China, India, the "80/20" is far from the truth, more like "95/5"? or "97/3"? I dont know what kind of income you guys are getting, but there are people making less than 100 kuai (yuan) per month, and my friends, that is not the communist ideal ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Just got home, packing (and final checking) my bags now ...

    Hahaha, Paulina ... I am not 100% sure about this, but I think at this moment in time (and perhaps for a very long time already), no one can claim that Japan is richer than China, as a whole country ... although, on average, Japanese have better living standard/condition than Chinese ...

    In the past, when my relatives from mainland asked us to send them television and refrigerator, or even buy them an apartment in Guangzhou, I did have some doubt about China's future ... but it is impossible for me (or most people in fact) to doubt the potential of the current China, which still needs development and correction ... so having said that, I dont see that China is developing people, perhaps more about people (local as well as foreign) developing China ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Hahaha ... seriously, I am not sure if I am a real Chinese (what is real Chinese anyway? Does it include those who had migrated overseas but still claimed to be Chinese patriot? ) ... I am definitely not USA people (whatever that means), nor am I a typical genius (well, I am sure no one thinks of me as genius anyway, but thanks for even considering it) ...

    As for "lack of insight", hahahaha ... I dont think it would need a genius to know that I lack insight, among many things ... where can I buy some? Oh, damn, I lack money too ...

    As for representing the real Chinese people, hahaha, never in one minute of the past 4 decades of my life, had I wanted or tried to represrnt "real Chinese people", or if I did, I must have been drugged or drunk (but I dont drink?) ... again, what is meant by "real Chinese people", and who can claim to represent the "real Chinese people" anyway?


  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Interesting commentary Kodi, Paulina, and my other new friend(would love to know what to call you.

    Paulina..you do give us a Chinese perspective that is appreciated. It is my belief Japan is a major finiancial player...problem being it is an island company with limited resources. China, roughly the size of USA, has huge resources in both raw materials and its people. Of course USA buys everything Chinese when you can make quality products cheaply because of your cheap labor costs. You are accurate in that the average American would find it difficult to live, not because of the language, but as you said the culture and living standards are so different.

    Kodi...whew..what a long response you gave and I am appreciate of your responses though I would disagree with much of what you said. I believe at 58, I am much older than you and have much more experiences than you. We can disagree on some of the points later. For the record I made 100k US last year until the economic slowdown, now this year will make 80k plus benefits, an upper middle income for the USA..probably in the 90 percentile. Now I was willing to forgo most of my income and live in China bringing with me $2-3000 US a month to live in Beijing or Shanghai and supplement my income by teaching Englsih.....not speaking Chinese at the moment, my other options might be limited at first. Why I mention this is that yes, Paulina foriengners love to come to China but are used to a certain standard of living..so funny, I personally don't care about this so long as I get a decent apartment with a clean kitchen and a toilet in the bathroom. In the Englsih classes that I have taught in Sushou, I really enjoyed teaching the kids.

    Kodi, it is the small business owner in America that makes are system great. I think your numbers, though well intentioned are way off. Not in this forum, but I have always said statements without facts and references are usually opinions od the author..that said what you said did spark my interest a lot...Can Americans hold dual citizenship with China..that would be wonderful...does anyone know something about this? A lot of Americans hold dual citizenship with other countries....no idea about China, my future home, when I sell my business at the airport.
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    When does someone become a "real'citizen" of the country to where they live?? In America, we are a people of many country's..now my family hs been here for 300 years so I consider myself native American, even though my family was originally from Germany (an interesting fact..many years ago a vote was taken on our national language and English wom over German by 1 vote..Thank goodness) I am American ..not German-American. Now I don't consider myself any more or less American than any other citizen...we may have differences in opinion, and I may be more attuned to the culture and language....but we are still ONE people. how do the Chinese feel about their naturalized citizens??
  • Shane
    Shane wrote:
    The main inaccuracy with the Chinese flag is the small stars are all the same size ;) It seems there should be one HUGE star, one BIG star, and then a bunch of other stars somewhere near the opposite corner of the flag.
  • Shane
    Shane wrote:
    Paulina, how has being from Hong-Kong changed your views of considering yourself "A Real Chinese". How has it changed your views of China in general?
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Interesting pont Paulina...it is those very mainstream values are some of the reasons for choosing a mainland Chinese for my next wife. An example is respect of parents. Very few kids in America feel obligated to help their parents out financilly when they get older..Most feel the parents should continue to help them out since they have earned and saved more. It seems the Chinese system of retirement is dependant on the kids and grand kids to help. Also, the emphasis in China as I know it is for the child to study hard and succeed in school..and do place well in test......almost no emphasis on test scores in the US until college.. Most Chinese in America do very very well because of their culture and great work ethic. One of my office managers in my company that I hired is from Hong Kong, and in the past 5 years he has proven himself as a superior employee. I just hope when I retire to China, I can fit into the mainstream culturally as you state.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    So Paulina is also a HK-ese? I am the other type of HK-ese, who does not feel that HK is the root, and has no feeling of mainland
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    No, no, no, no again, and finally ... ready for it ... no ...

    I dont care much about China like the way you think, though I am interested to see how to country might change and evolve

    I like most of Jap animations, mabe except Gundam and FF ... not sure how it is related to the topic

    I use this site, because some sexy girl that I know (or rather, knew) asked me to join ... and it had not disappointed me so far ...

    It is difficult to forget that Beijing is the cap of China ... it is like, who would forget the cap of USA is Washington, and the cap of Australia is Sydney ... oh, no, I meant Canberra, hahahaha

    Hahahaha ... never liked any wild animals and that's including kangaroos, and they are just bit rats/mice with big pockets at their stomachs ... I dont see you using the 5-star flag as your logo anyway ... is that Mao's picture in your logo?

    Hahahaha ... I am very certain that "China" does not love me, nor accept me, as for accomodate me, I still have some use, I think?

    Hahahaha ... I must really apologise for any disappointment, but to repeat the above, I really could not care much about China, maybe about its currency and its stock market ...

  • 张翯
    张翯 wrote:
    I cost such a long time to read the comment from the top to the end, not easy everybody you know…for me, A pure Chinese, at least last for 20 something years.

    I do agree all you guys views, you are interpret in different ways, really intense and exciting.

    1. Developing. Some would like to talk about in weather is a “developed or developing” way, actually, that is a relativity. The reference object is the geography or time….or history, I think that is only a word named by human for easy to clarify the world, the most important I realize is the people is live better than before or not. Or maybe they are richer than before which is means the live standard is higher but happiness index is much lower than previously. “Developed or developing” is just like a market position of a product. Even 20 century later on, even china is the giant of the world in the world, but people or government still “market position” China in “developing” because their competition is focus developing country (which is going to developed country) or developed country (which is in the bottom line of all developed country) rather than always in the top of the world like American but collaboration

    2. Unique. China is already enough unique, have you guys ever realize? They have their own meanwhile like a kid willing to learn, moreover, willing to accept unique. China is like an old who is keen on to drink traditional Chinese alcohol, but meanwhile he keen on to chat with friend by internet in both Chinese and English. What’s more, I realize, nowadays, the world is begin to focus on China, either good or bad, but it’s doesn’t matter, that show china become top topic. Those like a kind of indirect of promotion. Free, fastest, and the most efficiency way.
    Paulina’s word is really sharp, I do like this style. In fact, there is no S.O.P of dialogue.

    3. Personality n (I don’t know which word can summarize below word,eheha)… There is kind of city like HK, Macau, the culture and history is mix but I found they are more understand the root than some of the young “pure” Chinese. The most Change is the young Chinese would like to tell foreigners their nationality as “Chinese” but not anything else. Even they change the nationality, it’s just like different people has different situation, is much better than always bent on interfering in other countries' internal affairs.
    4. Internal and external pressure. I do agree Steven Ritter’s comment “he guess more Chinese immigrate to USA than vice-versa and that is a great thing for America” really a big deal for the locals. Same thing, in Beijing have already happened since last century. How the local citizens are surviving for their own life?
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Surely, a nice discussion of many subjects....I am not sure of the name of the Chinese 张翯, but a nice and thoughtful points of veiw. It is my thinking USA has been made great by the diversification of the many peoples of the world, especially our Asian community, and more specifically the Chinese. The culture of high education standards, the tireless work ethic, the spirit of the closeness of family, the respect of the elderly, and the business accumen are all wonderful traits and characteristics the Chinese have taken with them to America.

    A country doesn't want everyone in the world to immigrate to its country...just the brightest, best, and well educated. USA has been made better with you Chinese. Xie xie.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Good bye Paulina, I think we will miss you ... on second thought, I probably wont ...

    Steven, look forward to that tea/coffee appointment when we are both in Beijing (in Sydney now, actually) ... I just notced your mention of the "retirement" in China, so maybe I could contribute a little ...

    Unlike the western culture, the traditional Chinese "belief" is that when you get old, your children (and their children) will look after you, which is why most Chinese dont believe that they would need to think about retirement (hahaha, sorry, insurance talk) ... the really strange thing is that most of these people are not supporting their own parents now, so I wonder what kind of example they are setting for the next generation ...

    And, that is the traditional way ...

    Onto the new way and beyond... the pattern is known as a 4-2-1, i.e. a typical family would consist of 4 old folks (grandparents), one young (maybe middle-age) couple, and one single child ... try to guess which direction does most of the money flows ...

    Due to the rising cost of living in China, a lot of young married couples (in Beijing or otherwise) cannot afford their own home, so they either live with the parents or rent, or get their parents to subsidise the down-payment of their apartment ... and then when they have their own child, again due to high living cost of food and education, their earnings could only go to the child ... so the traditional Chinese style of retirement like you had mentioned is getting more and more difficult to realise ...

    Your (Steven) mention of how USA (and we could include many foreign countries) had been benefited from the Chinese immigrants is very true and interesting, however, the more interesting part is that, the next generation of these families would have adopted the western way and again, the traditional Chinese retirement plan cannot be realised in the foreign land ...

    So, though not directly related to the topic itself, the on-going development of China had certainly affected some of the tradtional ways of thinking, one of them, the idea that you can depend on your child when you retire, is getting more and more impossible ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Hahaha ... you surely have a very low "tolerance" ...
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    叮噹 Once again you are right on the mark.....The Chinese in America for the most part have become westernized and they providce for their own retirement, just as the rest of us native (those born and raised) Americans. I have spoken to a few of my Chinese friends (living in US)and they told me they all felt like they could make it in America easily, with minimal adjustments due to the technologies of today.ie movies, CNN, telephone, internet, etc.

    My Suzhou fiancee told me the same thing you did. She said she and her sister will not be responsible for their parents retirement and said that is the new way of the urban/city Chinese. So strange, I told her I would be willing to help her parents out ( I think in later years we will). And, as is custom, she is living with her parents. I thought one of the beauties of the chinese culture was the reverence to their parents.

    I do agree that all available resourses are put into the children. I want 2 more children and would say we will spend much money on them.

    As for retirement in 4 years I figure my government social pension to me will give us 15-20,000 RMB (converted), I will have the sale of my company, and we will work if we wish to.......that said it is a question where we live in China (we will keep a house in USA too). It is much more affordable..the question will be,,,do we raise our kids in USA or China...big question?????????

    I have no clue what paulina is talking about..real Chinese versus what??? Too ambiguous in her arguements......Sorry sweety, I would love to understand your thoughts...I know you mean well dear.

    And I will take you up on the get together sometime...you are very interesting.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Paulina ... it is quite interesting, and yet exhausting, to continue ... because so far you have repeatedly claimed that I misunderstand China, and that I am looking at this the wrong way, but you have not provided any evidence to support what you had claimed ...

    As a whole, you have commented about nearly everyone, and me in particular (hahaha ... I certainly dont mind the attention you are giving me), but you have not provided much facts or evidence this far ...

    I think we can all see that you have strong feelings about China, or even Hong Kong, and I do admire you for that, in fact, one of my old friends from HK now plays an important role in HK politics, I just seldom pay much attention ...

  • John
    John wrote:
    中国加油!Go Paulina! lol
  • Shane
    Shane wrote:
    Paulina,

    Is your close-minded way of dealing with other people's opinions a good example of the new open-mindedness of China in the twenty-first century? Did you ride a Stegosaurus to Beijing?

    And why is anyone who tries to argue your opinion automatically deemed immature?

    This is just the common "we have 5000 years of culture" bullshit . Seen it too many times to put any more posts here. Done.
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Diverse opinions are a good thing. Shane you have it right.."5000 year culture and decades behind the western world. It means nothing! Pauline, perhaps there have been misunderstandings.....Remember there is your truth, "my" truth, and the real truth may lie in between somewhere. No big deal.

    There is no question of China's super star or major force in the world today...it is just not in the sphere yet of the USA.
  • John
    John wrote:
    Show them the real China Paulina! Go Paulina go! lol
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Just back from afternoon tea, and the coffee was good ... so where are we?

    Hahaha, John ... if you are encouraging her to win brownie points, I think you must have a full basket load of it today already ... watch out for the calories ...

    Shane ... part of the (traditional) Chinese culture is being close-minded, and amazingly, it still worked quite well in many aspects of China today ... let's just say that a lot of corps do not encourage free thinking like Microsoft and Google ...

    ... by the way, feel free to join me and Steven for tea/coffee when we return to Beijing

    Paulina, Paulina, Paulina ... what did I do or say that might need you to forgive me? Hope it is not illegal, or I am afraid to go back to China ... oh, and if anyone could point out what it was, I would gladly apologise and buy him a coffee ... that is assuming I can return to BJ legally ... heehee

    ... you have stated some very interesting points, but none of them in any way support your argument ... but then, I am deaf and blind, oh, and I dont have any limbs too, so it is possible that I cannot see, hear and reply ...

    ... by the way, 15 hours ago, you handed in your resignation, right?
  • John
    John wrote:
    I'm just joking around. From what she's written she's really not my type. Perhaps from a lot of stuff I've written, I'm not a lot of people's type either! haha
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Hahaha, John, you are not my type either ... but you are welcome to meet us for tea/coffee when we are all back in BJ ...

    Hmmm ... Paulina, I am married ... as for your boss' English proficiency ... well, Let's not discuss that here ...
  • John
    John wrote:
    Hey 叮当叮当, I never tried to hit on ya, I know you're a man. I appreciate the invite but tea/coffee ain't my style.

    *opens a book*
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Hahaha... the reason we should not discuss it here, in case your boss (or relative?) might be reading this and it could cost you your job ...
  • John
    John wrote:
    Oh my god. This is bad.
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Dear Paulina ...you are ok you have a lot of spunk and pizzazz I wonder if you say things sometimes just to cause a response...a good thing...teachers in US do it all the time. Make a contraversial statement just to get responses. You mentioned the westernization and the desire to get back to the era of deep thought/Confusius. Well deer, in globilization, you just cannot do that. Seems the more you have the greater the desires. Surely sweety, you own a cell phone (haha every Chinese seems glued to their cell phone..a future blog of mine)...look around you at things that were not around not so many years ago.

    Now if your argument is that we need to pause and take rememberance of our culture and heritage..that is a good thing. Remember dear Paulina, most people do not care about their government directly and the world...they are too busy worrying about feeding their families, providing shelter and clothing their families, educating their children day by day. In the old culture of China, the children were responsible for their aging parents welfare. It seems this culture is disappearing.

    Paulina the reason China will not lay off workers because of their views may be because workers know better than to express their dissenting views publicly...then again, most don't care about matters other than temselves and their families (a world viewpoint).

    Paulina, you should point out things the would enlighten us in the cultures and virtues of China as you see them. We in turn will do the same in response.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Hahahaha ... having read and then re-read her responses, is Paulina one single person?
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Well sweety , you mentioned your boss telling you what to say.. Perhaps it's a collaboration of ideas. Nothing wrong with that. That said, I net you are speaking your mind! A good thing
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    We would call him your uncle. Glad you have someone in such a high position...it can be helpful in anyones culture, especially yours, I am told. My sweetys sister is an official in her city, and from what i am told, very 'helpful".

    Pauline, I am glad you have participated in this discussion. Xie xie. I know you have tried to represent "China's side", but like in everything, there are many sides to this, even from many Chinese themselves.

    Bottom line, China is a world super power now, just not as in the same stratoshphere as the US....in the future for sure.

    BTW, why would you want to go to France of all countries?? I want to go there for a weekend, see the Mona Lisa, see the Eiffel Tower, and come home. I just think there is not much love for the French and Englsih speaking peeoples. They tend to forget that if it wasn't for the Americans in 2 wars they would all be speaking German. Cheers.
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Paulina, you can be insightful as well.on many subjects. I am sure you can be more expressive in Chinese. I am thankful for your English. My Chinese is so limited now.

    It is always interesting to hear different peoples perspectives of their visitation of worldly places, and of people in their own country's of their cultures.
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Paulina, there must be a misiunderstanding. I never said or used the word "flock of Chinese girls" I have maybe 15-20 Chinese girls I am friendly with in an internet way..chatting/conversing..nothing romantically. Sure I had a nice friend in Beijing I never actually got to meet in person, went around with a Chengdu friend (nothing romantically(, but now am engaged to a girl from Suzhou....I would venture to say far less than any male in China...for the most part I just enjoy being friends with you Chinese. Nothing wrong with being friends and friendly. I have always been very polite and cordial in every instance

    Nice to be your friend Paulina. :).
  • Penta1
    Penta1 wrote:
    woow,people here are talking happily.Well,i think we are believe China will be a powerfull country.
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    what is this thing? China and USA all the time? are they the only countries in this world?
  • Amay
    Amay wrote:
    不管怎么样, 我至死依旧爱中国
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Isai ... this is just killing time ... and "no"
  • Cathleen
    Cathleen wrote:
    it is not the first time that i heard someone graduated from a top university with high score and so on but worked in a shitty company...but why other students can find good job or do sth they like, even if they were never near the top of class...such like when i am doing an interview, if the candidate cant show me how potential,motivated and capable he/she is..why i recruite him/her with high salary?i dont care about the score, i do care about what he/she can do for me and the company...
  • Ikra Yousaf
    Ikra Yousaf wrote:
    i am kind of agree with Paulina
  • Ikra Yousaf
    Ikra Yousaf wrote:
    America is holding 14 trillion $ as their GDP, while China is at 8 Trillion $... China is above UK, Japan, Arabia, even Russia and Germany... so if there is a competitor to USA, then it would be none other then China... thus first thing is clear...

    now the amazing thing is China holds nearly trillion of investment in USA... in the recent financial crisis China wasn't hit hard as US was... it means its more stable... China is benefited from its people, who are self-less, communism supports the growth without any hurdle and national growth is rapid..

    while if you see America, nation is divided, for them gay issues, Vegas Casino, Benz, Hollywood are more important then the health issues, national development issues, and above all global issues...

    above all see image of USA, even Pope John Paul was against them, most of African countries have hatred against them, none of Muslim countries like them, Russia and west Asia are already rivals..

    so if we from this angle then China would just be needing 20 25 years to be the ultimate power..

    but people like Obama and so many eminent personals are there to flourish America and restore its global image... so its like a Tug of war...

  • Ikra Yousaf
    Ikra Yousaf wrote:
    i just said i agree with Paulina in term,s of what she said about economy, that we cant compare the economy of china and USA yet... this is the only sentence where i agree with her... hope you got it "Aaron"
  • 王望魍
    王望魍 wrote:
    中国有哲学问题,发扬光大 == 炙手可热。
  • Turkmenbaschi
    Turkmenbaschi wrote:
    quote from aaron randolph
    "First of all, I have never said America is a nation without problems. However, there isn't a nation that come close to America's accomplishments, innovations, and overall contribution to the whole world."

    stopped reading there

  • wrote:
    Meaningless topics.
    If China is good enough, why so many people of China will emigrate to U.S. and other foreign countries? China is only a county with large population and developing nation with lots of poor people.
  • Åse Marie Strand
    I enjoyed this thread. Thanks for posting Steven. It is refreshing to get away from some of the topics that only illicit petty drama and ill exchange of words between members.

    @ Kodi - well written response and I agree with you 100%
  • Escade
    Escade wrote:
    @Steven Ritter: i feel grateful on yr points abt tz topic u posted! :-) i ttly agree wz yr statement as u posted:'...China is a world super power now, just not as in the same stratoshphere as the US....in the future for sure.' yr commentary on tz topic is justics & shows yr respects to my great country-China~~~ I'm patriotism,indeed...I LOVE my GREAT country,i feel so warm & moved by yr friendly & amicable posting ABT my homeland in tz thread,mainwhile I also feel a little bit 'SHAME' that some persons of my homeland lost respects to their motherland:-( this is kinda sad thing...yr ideologies & awareness on tz topic should be learned by many others,especially by some local ppl,as u r a foreigner ,their thoughs & consciousness r less than u...this is another kinda sad thing...

    U will gain(or hv aldy gained?) 'GOLD' in my homeland~ China,as much as u want coz u r FRIENDLY & SINCERELY to tz country & ppl of tz land:Goodness will have a Good Reward! In Chinese:善有善报~~~@@@

    Happy everyday in here:China~~~

    Cheers!~~~
  • Patrick Coleman
    super power is an obsolete world , its for cold war between USSR and the USA in the 70's. now we have NATO in european side, Israel & Middle east muslim countries, US, Russia, China, all are not racing for super power status but fighting for OIL.without Oil Chinas economy will go to a halt, USA war machines will not run. world economy is run by oil and traded in dollars,USA got iraq now they are eyeing for IRAN, now China must protect IRAN and theyre Oil supply from there, Afghanistan is not about TALIBAN its the Oil Pipe Lines the USA are protecting.
    If there will be a World War 3 it will be because of Oil.

    so start getting Electric cars!
  • Saint - Spartacus
    it comes one day the history finished in the form of now times and replaced by a new form which may not called history but the pieces of humain culture , then , no matter which country , china or other eles will be considerate as the same thing
  • Patrick Coleman
    @FRIES I can make your face bleed as well
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    let's find a common enemy to fight, another planet with intelligent creatures, then, world peace…
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:

    haha i have to inputting it again at here

  • Sofia
    Sofia wrote:
    i jst see endless problems everywhere, in economy, food safety,medicines,employment, education.
    A huge population and a low-level economy, of course problems come
    The Go-vern-ment seems has no way to come up solutions
  • Sara Elise Fladmark Seland
    When we find an alien race to fight against, we will keep fighting between ourselves just to see who is the REAL hero.. greedy fuc***g humans
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    Eu sou realmente heroes...
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:
    Alan Moore taught us this in ¨Watchmen¨

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc