Discussion » Food & Drink » Who wants hot pot?

• John
    John wrote:
    It's getting cold in Beijing and its the time of year where hot pot is back in. Some say its "in" all year round, but now is defnitely the time where more people start to go. Which FEMALE here is up for the challenge? For everyone else, which hot pot spot is your favorite and why? Wouldn't hurt to try some new spots out every now and then.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    I'm a big fan! I got bored of those "delicate" hot pot like 海底捞, and those "modified" ones like 小肥羊years ago. My favorite now is 宏源南门涮肉, and it is my only choice now. I know one of their restaraut is at south gate of the Temple of Heaven, and the other one is on the lane beside 后海/houhai. Try it, John
  • John
    John wrote:
    No problem! I appreciate the response! How would you rate 东来顺?
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

Chengfu Lou on Chenfu Lou is great. Very cheap! I'm down for a hotpot party...

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    an event is a great idea!
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

Oh, that's not a good thing to see hot pot thread when you are ready to sleep...

I'm hungry now...

The best hot pot I've ever had is the one back to my hometown. The mutton is soooooo great!  For a hot pot,  I always value the quality of meat much more than soup...

宏源南门涮肉 is very good, but still not as good as the one in my hometown...

uh, hungry more...

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    "I always value the quality of meat much more than soup" 1000% agree!
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

睡觉了, 睡觉了, 只好在梦里吃火锅了...

• John
    John wrote:
    I've actually had hot pot on 鬼街 before and was quite impressed. Not sure if it was 亨记 though. Guess I'll have to go again. For those who don't know, 鬼街 or "Ghost Street" can be found at one of the subway exits for 北新桥 (bei3xin1qiao2) subway station (line 5). @Marilyy Why do I need a female? Because I'm single and don't like the idea of eating hot pot by myself during the fall/winter. I don't mind going in a group as it would be a great opportunity to meet interesting people and eat some really good food! : ) Yet, it doesn't hurt to eat with a member of the opposite sex in a nice, semi-quiet setting. I just thought I'd throw that out there and see what would happen.
  • John
    John wrote:
    So direct! Yes, I am. Time is money. Call it what you want....
  • Anders Vålberg
    In fact I don't like hot pot in Beijing Sytle, but recently I went to chengdu and eat the hot pot there,it's really different with Beijing Style.But I don't know where has the authentic chengdu hot pot...
  • Candy Q
    Candy Q wrote:
    @no name
    there's a place called 小码头. have u heard of it? all my friends from chongqing thought it was really nice.

I love T6 too much.....ha....spicy addict...
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    DIY > all
  • John
    John wrote:
    DIY is awesome, had it right before I left Beijing.
  • Rebecca Dreiling
    One of the first things I did in Beijing, when I met a group of new people was get hot pot. It was so delicious and it's such a great way to socialize with a group of people because you ALL have something in common.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Rebecca ... not too sure about "something", but they are at least sharing one thing that will bring them closer together, hahaha :)

We went to Dou Lao Fang last Monday week at Viva with my god-daughter ... we ordered a one-person set plus a two-person set (including drinks), and then added a "squid balls filled with chocolate" and "shrimp mud with roe" ... though it was a bit odd to taste hot chocolate while eating the squid ball, it was definitely "unique" and fun :)
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Well, you need to be clear about the noun phrase "HOT POT" This can as well be symbolic of something else especially when you put the word "FEMALE" in bold and inverted commas.
  • Børge Notkevich
  • Joy
    Joy wrote:
    南门涮肉!!!!yeah!!! i love it!!!! i like the one in the south gate of the temple of heaven 聚宝源 is really good!~
  • NN
    NN wrote:

I've missed hot pot too ...

• Hanna Amalie Martinsen

wow!what a nice thread....but i am just  hearing hot pot....is there cold pot? i really want it.

• Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:

whatever just want a super spicy~~ or cheese pot~~~~~~~~~~~~~~my desire

• Joy
    Joy wrote:
    oh! i just had the most terrible hot pot in my life. spicy and they ordered FRESH PIG'S BRAIN!!!!!!!!! and the waiter placed that brain in front of me!! so disgusting!
  • Joakim Berg Solum

Lucky you had it fresh. Last time I order pig brain it was frozen and not quite as good...

• Joy
    Joy wrote:
    oh lucky!!!? i hate it! and they forced me to eat. T-T i'd rather have a frozen one, at least it looks not like a brain....
  • Cice Liao
    Cice Liao wrote:

hot pot paradise(ding ding xiang).....

• Jin Sawicki
    Jin Sawicki wrote:

iam at a samll town which callled queenstown in new zealand,OMG,how much i fancy to eat hotpot,only burger sandiwich,pasta for me ,i put on weight a lot...

• Tonje Dahl
    Tonje Dahl wrote:
    wowow ...little bit hungry ...
  • Einsteinna
    Einsteinna wrote:

i think i'll be the winner, and for me, it's really delicious especially in a spicy hot pot!!!!!

• Einsteinna
    Einsteinna wrote:

ok, i'm not going to join you, i'd rather have a hot pot in my little cosy room~~~

• Jenelyn Tambago

Spicy hotpot during summer is a bad idea...I had to run out the building to have some fresh air and try to dry my sweat. Tho it was my first time in Beijing, and I was not yet used to the spicy food here, but im not trying that again any time soon.

Anyways, my first choice it would be 海底捞. Besides it has the only men's bathroom where the floor is not peed on.

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

i am actually not a big fan of hot pot, once in a long while is cool but not too often. And still, since we are talking about it, i would recommand a nice place called Tomato Hotpot at Sanyuanqiao, 番茄火锅, that is delicious, especially if you are a vegitarian.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.