Discussion » Current Events » Does the Nobel Prize indicate how innovative a cou

• Morry Morgan
    Morry Morgan wrote:
    Here's an (incomplete) list of Nobel Prizes won over the years by different countries: 318 - USA 115 - UK 103 - Germany 57 - France 23 - Russia 20 - Italy 18 - Canada 16 - Japan 13 - Denmark 11 - Belgium 10 - Australia 9 - India 5 - Argentina 4 - Mainland China 1 - South Korea India has won twice as many Nobel Prizes as China, and is in competition to be the next superpower. Do you think that the Nobel Prize indicates a country's innovation?
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Innovation? how you define it? I think this website is innovative, but the founder of this website is not so likely to become a Nobel price winner right? Now back to your question: where do you got the data? as far as I know, there is only one Chinese citizen ever won a Nobel price: Dalai Lama. so...4?can you list them out? Or, if the number refers to the winners' ethical origin, I can name at least 10 winner who was born in China, and then went to other countries. In my opinion, if the number of Nobel price winner really related to the innovation thing, what really matter is not the winners' nationality or ethical origin, but which university/institute/lab/firm/company he/she works for -- which country he/she works for. It is nothing to do with China, even there are 100 Nobel price winner who is ethical Chinese and work in/for other countries, right?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

I think the Nobel Prize indicates the power of tapped human resources given access to the proper tools of innovation within that country.

• 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

Da Fan, Da Lai La Ma is not holding Chinese passport, so he can not be categorized as a Chinese citizen...

No Chinese people has won Nobel Prize I think, but several were nominated for Nobel Peace Prize, which always made our government angry...

Agree with Pete... and that's perhaps why there's still no Chinese who win the Nobel Prize...

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Yeah, Pete is right. that's why I said the winners' nationality or ethical origin have nothing to do with their "motherland"~~ One Chinese has been nominated for Nobel Literature Price, 老舍or巴金?whatever~~ I never consider Nobel Literature Price and "Peace" Price as authentic Nobel Price. And Maria, not only the government got angry, many people, too, though I think they totally need not to be angry~~Errr, how to say, Maria...Eg, stupid government tell its youngters that using drugs, no matter what kind of drug, is the worst thing ever, and then some youngsters occationally tried something like marijuanna later and found it not so harmful, began to feel they are fooled, then started to try harder ones like Cocaine -- the way how goverment doing things may be fool, or stupid, but "using Cocaine" is not wise too, right? Being an idiot "fenqing" is not so wise, and stand on the right opposite side of them is not so wise, too. To realise that "nationalism is bad" is absolutely a good thing, but our ultimate goal is not just know the fact that nationalism is bad, but be able to find out what is "right" by ourselves, right? Recently I got a feeling that "just anti-everything-gov.-said" is becoming a sterotype in China. They are better than "traditional" "fenqing", but not move forward too far away, and sort of like "fenqing" in the mirror~~
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    "the majority China's talent is mostly untapped" -- totally agree. And in research area(not training employees), all universities in China are kind of "山寨/vulgar?" -- yes I said "all of", not "most of"
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

Da Fan,  I don't get your meaning. Is that you mentioning something about me or you just describe a phenomena in China?

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    A group of people in China, and I hope you are not one of them :-)
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

I belong to this type:   I say what I want to say! I don't please the government; I don't please Chinese people  either (no matter they are fenqing or not)...

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    I say what I want to say, too. I don't please anybody/group of people/organisations. I just agree or disagree with them based on my own thinking, no matter they are fenqing or not, the gov. or the people, locals or foreigners. Typical fenqing think all western things are bad, and at the same time, more and more people think all things the gov. said is just propaganda and a tempt to brain wash foolish people, and what fenqing think are all foolish -- both are what I call "stereotype", that's what I want to say
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

I don't see many Chinese people belonging to either of you called  "sterotype" nowadays,  personally.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    hope so~
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    Morning , 6:40am local time ... hahaha ... very touchy subject already, wonder if it can go further still, and then "chomp", someone cut it ...
  • Morry Morgan
    Morry Morgan wrote:
    If you want China to start using its untapped talent, then I suggest you all come along to Spark09 at the Beijing Hilton Hotel, on Friday October 23rd (http://www.spark09.org).

There will be about 500 scientists, CEOs, founders and entrepreneurs sharing ideas on the fields of humanity, environment, business, and science, and proving that China is really innovative!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.