Discussion » Current Events » The Noble peace prize

• Jay Ghamous
    Jay Ghamous wrote:
    What do you think about Mr. Obama getting the Nobel peace prize...!!!? I personally think that he is a good man,but getting the peace prize? For what?
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    yeah he's a good man, but as to the reason of getting the peace price...for did nothing since he stepped in the white house? this sounds sort of reasonable huh?
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

I think the Nobel Peace prize is more like an encouragement to Mr. Obama, hoping he could achieve progressments for world peace in the future.

I agree he just stepped in the world stage, not having done many things so far.

But I'm still happy! I'm a fan of him! :-)

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    wish he keep on doing nothing on issues outside the US border, then he definitely deserves another one. Maybe the committe's intention is to encourage him keep on his doing-nothing performance, LOL
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

Da Fan, "the more competence you have, the more responsibilities you have."...

As the most powerful country's president, Mr. Obama should keep doing many things ouside the US border, just make sure to do nice things...

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Norway has a massive guy crush on him. It's just a trap to lure him to their happy land of fjords 'cause Nobel Committee Chairman and former Prime Minister Thorbjorn Jagland knew that Obama would ignore their boring little country otherwise, instead choosing to focus America's goodwill towards their much cooler neighbor Sweden (and little Denmark). 

Maybe Finland, too.

Norwegians are so lame.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Norway...I usually get confused abt the three skandinavia counties...Finland is where my mobile's created, and Sweden is the Ikea HO? and Norway...I remember that Solskjaer is Norweigian right? and Norway sells oil and gas!
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

And we (WeLiveInBeijing.com) are made in Norway, as well.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    5? you mean plus lceland and Denmark or something? but i think these two countries are not located in the Skandinavia peninsula... Yeah, Norway made out WLIB! much more entertaining than my bed and "clock"!
  • Olive Zhu
    Olive Zhu wrote:
    because he is black and he is in the white house.
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

As an American I say let him do something first before he gets a Nobel peace prize.  He has many great ideas, but at least wait until he puts them into action and things get done.  I am a fan of Obama, but he should not get the prize simply because of his ideas.  Furthermore, it should not be predetermined that he get the prize simply because he is the first black president of the United States and has the oportunity to make a difference.  Look at all the people already doing the ground work and struggling for a change.  He is just another person participating in the struggle.  I do agree that once he gets something done he should be considered, but his feats should also be compared to the great feats of others in the world.  Personally I think Obama should decline the prize and force people to take action instead of rallying behind him.

• KA
    KA wrote:

Pete DeMola,

You are so arrogant when you say Norwegians are so lame, and described it 'boring little country". I do not think Norwegian people have much to do when Nobel Committee choose President Obama as a Peace Prize winner!

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Ah, Masha, Masha, Masha... 

I was being sarcastic. We (WeLiveInBeijing) are a Norwegian company. That was a poke at my co-workers.

Sarcasm must not translate in cyberspace.

Thanks for reading!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    Masha? or Marsha?
  • KA
    KA wrote:

My name is Masha not Marsha. Thanks for asking. 

• Joakim Lund Rangel
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Interesting stuff, Joakim.

Nobel on the requirements on awarding the Peace Prize:

"... and one part to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."

Interpreted literally, President Obama has certainly worked for the above. But I'm not sure where one should draw the line between results and wishful thinking. This may put him between a rock and a hard place both with his domestic and international opponents. We'lll have to see what happens.

Here's a great NYT roundtable discussion tackling a variety of viewpoints on the surprise selection of the 48-year-old dynamo.

Peter
    For sure.

Shino

You can insert images by using the "Insert/edit image" tag on the toolbar.

• Gracie-Bear
    Gracie-Bear wrote:
    i agree with O.P. wtf did obama do?!
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    I am an American who regretably voted for Obama. No way should Obama been awarded the "peace prize" He has acheived no peace in the world, and from what I can gather has only apologized for "past mistakes made by past administrations". This was an award by the leftist Europeans for a hope and a prayer that Obama will somehow miraculously make peace in the world. Will he acheive peace between the Jews and the Palistidians..NO..in fact look for Israel to bomb Iran within a year to protect itself from a nuclear holocust..Will he bring an end to the war in Iraq..No chance..Al queda wont leave..any chance for the Afghan conflict...thousands of years of conflict there from the Mongols, Peter the Great, the japanes, the Russians have not brought peace to the impoverished nation..It just won't happen. Obama may mean well, but he is over his head as our president. He was ill prepared for this assignment and he is being pushed by the leftist of his party to become isolationist in this world......the world will be more unsafe if he is re-elected..I see him as a failure and a one time president...We could use someone strong like Hu Jintao, who is more respected, but hasnt had to deal with the world military issues like an American president
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    A recent CNN poll showed 81% of American thought Obama should not have been awarded this award based on what he can "hopefully" acheive in the future...and it seems most everyone but the Kenyons in the world are abashed too!
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Agree. I still donno wtf BHO did, and if he did something, it's only a correction for "past mistakes made by past administrations"--exactly what i want to say, Steven, or efforts to "pull their heads out of their asses". Yeah this is a great leap forward and I'm happy to see it, but it's just sort of like a child have done something bad, correct it later, and then be awarded a "model of good boy" price...The situation is quit different from the one when former Nobel peace price winner such as, say, Rabin, the assasinated former Iseral leader, won the price: the state of unpeaceful conflict was not initiatively chose by someone or the mass of people, the reason is quite conplicated and historied. What Rabin and his fellows did is to initiatively change the bad situation. Let me re-emphasize it: Actually I am quit happy to see what BHO are trying to do, or planning to do... but a peace price? NO. Or logically it would be like a outcome of stupidity of the Bush's administration.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.