Discussion » Dating & Romance » Is it possible to suspend expectations

• Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

Do you think it is possible to have a relationship with someone without restricting them with your expectations?  People are often disapointed by others and they blame them for everything, but in fact they would not be disapointed in the first place if they would not have expectations of what they thought should be reality in the first place.  This is more of a philosophical question than a real one.  Very few people are able to hold back their own expectations, but philisophicaly if you think about it keeping one's expectations in check may solve many of the problems that arise in relationships.

• John
    John wrote:
    Very true. Most people who want "serious" relationships cannot afford to have one in the first place and therefore should not have such high demands. You can't have everything easy. Eat, drink and be merry. Leave the restrictions for when you can afford them.
  • Winnie
    Winnie wrote:
    oh well, it's very hard. otherwise Mr/Ms Right wouldnt be that hard to find. most ppl would say i dont have high standards when asked. that might be true. it applies to me to. but we do have expectations....i dont know..now i dont have any expectations for guys, neither do i want to be in a relationship. when im in a relationship, i have expectations.it's something that goes hand in hand. i think with the right person, he doesnt need to TRY hard to live up with thoes expectations becos he fits most. so better be friends first before dating...fixing a relationship takes a hell lot of time and energy.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ... even if one is not in any relationship, one should always have some expectations, so when the opportunity arrives, it is caught at that moment ...
  • NN
    NN wrote:
    exactly 叮噹
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Kodi..what a good philosophical question friend.

I agree with the above statements. in a relationship one always have expectations of themselves and of their partner. The problem lies when the expectations are too far apart ie. such as sex or no sex.......kissing in public/private,,,,finances etc..there are many.

I say its good to have reasonable expectations of our partners...of course it is even better to have great communication and love as well.
  • NN
    NN wrote:
    now Im getting this idea from other people,NEVER EXPECT OR AT LEAST LESS EXPECTATION .... ....Because normally getting more upset!!!
    Is this correct?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.