Discussion » Nonsense » about hiyab

• Yang Spaß
    Yang Spaß wrote:

Today we have debated about ''women who wear hiyab in occident countries'' in the class. I though that was a very interesting issue and I want to know more points of view.

The question is: Should occident countries band hiyabs in public places?

*hiyab: refers to the types of head covering traditionally worn by Muslin women.

• Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    In the US thery are made to take it off for official pictures..passports and drivers licenses, but there is tolerance given in the schools and public places. I read of France cracking down on the habib in the schools as not the accepted dress.

What is China's policy in this regard?
  • Luke
    Luke wrote:
    I can understand taking it off for official pictures, but in public places? No, definitely not. As long as the wearer is wearing it by their own choice there is no way that the government has a right to stop them.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Never heard of any relevant regulations in China, maybe they need to take it off for official picture or when passing check in places, but I don't think there exists such an regulation abt this issue in China. Meanwhile, I personally think we cannot judge related regulations or social standard in Muslin countries, they got their social standard, and as long as it works well within their border, we should respect it, even though I personally feel such regulations violate women's rights -- My feeling is not a standard
  • Yang Spaß
    Yang Spaß wrote:
    Recently, in France, a college had expulsed three students who wear hiyabs. Furthermore, in i dont know which country in Europe, a woman discussed with the judge when he told her to take off her hiyab.

A part of impolite when you're talking with another person covering your face and specially, your eyes, Hiyab is a sign of masclism. When a woman wears hiyab, she is assuming that she is inferior than a man. Well, sometimes assuming and sometimes she have to wear it, because if not, she will have problems.

I think that goverments have to take more control of those people who cause physic damage to women who dont wear hiyab! When that is posible, we will know that the women who wear hiyab is because they want it, not because of an obligation. Then, there is no reason to band it.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    It's really hard to judge what kind of rule is a "biased rule", or sort of a violation of human right. See, hiyab is a kind of attire, a sign of female in muslin countries, so is...err...bra, for example. How abt some girls feel more comfortable to be topless in public places? In many countries, such an act is illegal. But...why it is illegal, is there any universial TRUTH behind such an legal restriction? If no, it is exactly an obligation--they have to wear it, not they want to. Men can be topless in public places, why women cannot? Someone may argue that braless is of strong sex arose effect, may cause troubles in public, but how do we know muslin men's attitude toward "hiyab-less"?

I'm not trying to defend this muslin custom, actually my point is: many times we are going to judge something or a group of people, we tend to consider many logic line as universial rules, but in fact they are still our ASSUMPTIONS. eg, "A part of impolite when you're talking with another person covering your face and specially, your eyes, Hiyab is a sign of masclism. When a woman wears hiyab, she is assuming that she is inferior than a man", all these conclusions are not obvious, I think we need to ask ourselves "WHY" more often to check whether we are all ready made some unproved assumption based on our ways of observe the world.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.