Discussion » Health & Fitness » Cheap Nutrition Supplements

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:
    Just want to share a great tip for anyone who wants to get hold of some cheap nutrition supplements instead of paying 2-3 times the american price.

The big secret is taobao! And to see if you can trust the seller, click your way in to the product page and look for the diamonds (). These diamonds and the % below them are different credits, the bottom % i think is how happy the buyer are with the seller.

I'll use the example of some of the most popular (and best, they say) supplements for building musicle:

BSN
    BSN is behind no-xplode and a bunch other popular products.
    List BSN products

Optimum
    The #1 protein due to popularity.
    List Optimum Protein

A taobao translation plugin for Firefox would be awesome, but for now you can use http://babelfish.yahoo.com and just enter some page's url and select Chinese Simplified - English. A bit chingrish, but you'll understand most of it :)
  • THIS IS A BIG IMAGE
    Google toolbar translation will do it on the fly automatically
  • THIS IS A BIG IMAGE
    Also check out worldhealthstore.comcn - no fakes :)
  • Alex
    Alex wrote:
    I use to buy at World Health Store, they are located in Chaoyang District (next to The Place). The staff is pretty skilled and don't try to push you to buy all kind of products. I will take a look at Taobao, thank you for this tip.
  • Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:
    Ryan: Hehe, I know worldhealthstore.com.cn - and the price there is the reason I'm searching alternatives :-) Paying 2x (or even more) the US price is not an option for my sake. But google toolbar translation sounds like a good idea.. just hope I can show/hide the toolbar so my browser window's height isn't narrowed down :) Allready got developers toolbar.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Looks like someone is serious about getting in shape. I better watch my mouth around the office. Wouldn't want the Incredible Norwegian Hulk ripping me a new one :)

• Alex
    Alex wrote:
    Hey folks, I bought last week Glutamine and BCAA from this seller at Taobao:
    East Coast Sports Nutrition Bar - shop36292030.taobao.com - 13401060102

The price is quite fair, and I paid upon delivery.
    His score at Taobao is not that high, but I had a good experience.

Good luck
  • Young
    Young wrote:
    be ware of fakes. u do wanna know wat gets into your body
  • Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:
    Waiting for Optimum Whey 100% and BSN No-Xplode myself. The seller was a sport shop somewhere in China.

Alex: Did some reading on Glutamine, and most people have more or less no effect from it :/ But if these works for you, I'd like to read about it in the forum :)
  • Alex
    Alex wrote:
    Young: you are pretty right about fakes, we have to be careful about that. Some brands such as Twinlab and EAS have a lot of fake products around.

Ole: I'm taking Glutamine for a while (2 years I guess). It really works for me, I do feel more strong during the workout and have no muscles injuries since I've started to take it.
  • Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:
    Alex: Have you tried a period with no change execpt cutting the glutamine, then adding it again to measure the effect on glutamine only? And you were troubled with injuries before, and not after taking it?

Sucks that the information/effect around these kind of products are so various.
  • Young
    Young wrote:
    i am a big fan of working out my self for years. as far as i can tell. those powers will not make much difference except those extreme ones. once you musle mass reaches some point, you just wont put on much anymore. with regards to the extreme ones. the effects are obvious but temporary. once you stop. you will just go back to where you were, if not worse, not to mention the side effects. i would recon a good diet which is better than any supplyment
  • Alex
    Alex wrote:
    Ole: I've been working out for a while and just added Glutamine two years ago, after add it I did feel some improvements. Regarding the injuries, I used to hurt my arms (forearm and triceps) a lot before adding glutamine. By the way, it's hard to ENSURE glutamine was responsible to avoid new injures.

Young: Once you workout by yourself for year you are aware that people have different metabolism, biotype, lifestyle, and needs. You are totally right about good diet, it's key to support the workout and provide a healthy life, but I have to disagree about your sport nutrition's thoughts (but for sure I respect your opinion).
    There are many studies about those products (I'm not talking about studies from their own brands/laboratories), and most of them recognizes the value of sport nutrition "mainly" when you are not able to hold a good diet and/or have ambitious goals.
  • THIS IS A BIG IMAGE
    I use Glutamine SR and after 2 weeks I felt the recovery in my tendons more than my muscles which is mostly what I'm destroying!
  • Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:
    Young: I agree with you that the diet is most important, sports supply should only be additional to the food intake, not replacing it. E.g. it's hard to get enough proteins.

Alex: Yep, I know it's hard as its a lot of factors. Maybe you just improved your technique ;)

Peter: haha, well there is some protein supplements that's made of hamp ;) And it suppose to be pretty good as well =)
  • Alex
    Alex wrote:
    Ole, Peter,
    you could add the link/info from your sellers here :)
  • Theodor Braatøy
    I have used L-Glutamine on and off for many years. Its one of those products that I know for sure that it has some good to it - 60% of our muscles are made out of L-Glutamine so its the one we need to use the most... however I have also seen many reports that in many forms of it that it simply doesnt go into the blood stream as a supplement. There are quite a few supplements unfortunately that in theory they should work but in practice they don't due to pore absorption - the amino acid L-Carnitine is one of those also that will not work as as supplement.

L-Carnitine helps the body convert body fat into an energy source, therefore in theory that supplementing with this it will help you lose fat if taken prior to exercise. After many years of using this product and researching - it does nothing! The reason is absorption through the stomach. If you are going to use it as fat lose best to get the injection which you can get legally from some doctors - this is safe to do as well in low doses.

• Theodor Braatøy
    As far as products I love to use and do see immediate effect is Creatine. There are of course many different types on the market, by far the best I have used is the All American EFX KreAlkaline. They use a pH Xact technology which prevents the creatine from being broken down in the stomach acid - thus allows better digestive and non of the creatine becomes waste matter turning into the bi-product of creatine which is called "creatinine" - its this bi-product that unfortunately DOES affect your kidneys... and some creatines on the market (yes even the real ones in China!) will convert into this dangerous creatinine!

Drew

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.