Discussion » Nonsense » I want to make friends with Laowai

• 李心怡
    李心怡 wrote:

hi, i am studying English and have built a blog http://www.cnmonkeyking.com to help foreigner know china and improve my English. I also want to make friends with Laowai, Do anyone like to make friends with me?

• NN
    NN wrote:

I can not make friend with you then :(

Im friendly and nice though ... ...

Because Im NOT laowai ><

• くり
    くり wrote:

go to 3litun,there s a lot of so-called "laowais"

• くり
    くり wrote:

she's studying english....

• くり
    くり wrote:

i want to make friend with 老内。。。。可以吗

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

这种帖子我可受不了

• くり
    くり wrote:

laonei was just a joke, is just sick this laowai'zhongguoren mentality,makes me sick

• くり
    くり wrote:

第一我觉得真的很瞧不起自己国家的人要你觉得你一个人能代表所有在中国生活的中国人:咱么别提少数民族,说你代表所有的汉族人已经够天真。。。

第二你根本没权说因为中国人觉得这个词没什么所以就没什么。过去的时候很多美国白种人觉得把黑人叫做nigger也没什么,把中国人叫做chink也没什么。你觉得没什么?

我感觉你自己对老外这两次都不清楚。。。。formal的意思就是正式,老外是个非常轻松,不正是的说法。

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

The quickest way to make someone not want to talk to you is to ask to be their friend. Genuine friendships are formed naturally, not by asking socially awkward  questions. Another good way to scare people away is tell them you want to be friends because you want to improve your English. For many of us here helping people improve their English is our job, and its insulting when people ask us to do it for free.

• Jessie Zhao
    Jessie Zhao wrote:

hehe, making friendswith other is a nature thing. Sometimes the more you want to, the less you will get.

• くり
    くり wrote:

zhuangzi?

• くり
    くり wrote:

actually i need to do some research

• NN
    NN wrote:

This thread seems SENSITIVE

Hey,watch out :)

• Winnie
    Winnie wrote:

i remember before i came to beijing, laowai seemed like creatures we only saw on tv. where i am from, there's no laowai.

laowai were like pandas.hehe..and i thought it'd be really cool to have laowai as friends. its just a new experience back then when you talked to someone in another language and that person have different eye color and hair color.

then i came here for school....becos im a quite open person and open to all cultures.i started to have a lot of laowai friends. but non of them were my language teacher or something.

if you want to improve your english, go talk to chinese ppl. go to english corners. i seldom talked to foreigners there when i was still in school. cos foreigners were surrounded by so many chinese ppl that you can not actually have a good conversation with. most ppl think i had amercian teachers/bf. thats not true. my english was good before i came to beijing(accent wise). so it's not really who you talk to, it's really how much you speak the language. there were so many times i spoke to myself.hahaha

so my best suggestion is , find some chinese that are interested in learning and improving english.

• Winnie
    Winnie wrote:

oh, correction...

most ppl think i had amercian teachers/bf. ..it was not true that my english was good becos of them. it's becos the effort i put in by practicing on my own every day

• くり
    くり wrote:

1) she want to make friend to improve her english

2)and this friend has to be "laowai" and that in china usually means: white.

Not just with foreigners as I dont think she though about korean,japanese or indian people which are froreign as well, she did use a very specific term "laowai" which in china is used to call foreigners with white skin:caucasian.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Still too early to make dinner ...

Ans: probably no, depending on her definition of "friends", heehee ...

Miss Li is not the first one in this community to make such "demand" or have such "request", because I have "met" a few ... and I'd say to that "to each his/her own" ... everyone here will have his/her own interpretation about her intention (and hence judgement), but I think it is safe to guess that at least 70% will think the same thing ...

I agree with Shirley that Miss Li is "bold" ... I would love to say more about this, but I am sure someone will start questioning me about what I said only because I am not intelligent ... so let's not ...

One question though ... why did she not write this in her description?

• Winnie
    Winnie wrote:

No, Peter...i dont have a problem with that

did i sound like i had a problem with that?

i agree with Peter. if foreigners here on the forum dont want to help her with her english, thats fine. but no need to discourage her

peace

• Winnie
    Winnie wrote:

哦,原来是这样啊!没事没事:)

talking about learning english, this time of the week three years ago, i was always excited and on the way to ren ming da xue english corner. that's something i was looking forward to every week.

• Andrew Mark
    Andrew Mark wrote:

sheryl.. you have very strong language..  you do not ned to say "shit" to make a point!     when a girl say that,, actually i do not think its sexy at all,, learn better words :)

• くり
    くり wrote:

10.000 fucking point to Sheryl!!!I like her style!!!支持

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

“上次听上海的朋友说,不要误会上海人管外地人都叫“乡下人”,因为他们的方言古往今来都是这样的。”

----上海什么时候也谈得上“古往今来”了?100多年前上海就是典型的乡下~~要说“古往今来”,也该是苏州人“古往今来”就是这么称呼上海的才对。这种称呼很低劣,真的没什么好解释的,跟中国人叫外国人“老外”根本不是一个性质。

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

BTW, I DO THINK YOU ARE ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY SEXY, Sheryl~~

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

Peter:

"And for some reason, people on this form (Chinese and foreigners who are friends with Chinese and foreigners) all seem to have a problem with that????"

Sorry, I've been  away from this thread for awhile. I don't have a problem with her wanting to make friends, just the rather ham  handed way she is going about it. Just the other day I had a conversation with a young man I barely knew (who just so happened to be taking the TOFEL exam next month) who asked me to be his friend. China is the only place I've ever heard this very awkward  question. And I've heard it a lot.

Here is a conversation I had with one of my senior middle school students in 2006. Keep in mind, this is a 16 year old girl, and I was 34 at the time.

Her:I want to be friends with you.

Me: Well...uhhh...you know people don't usually ask other people to be their friends. They just become friends naturally over a period of time.

Her:Oh...I know. So....are we friends now?

My suggestion to anyone (Chinese or otherwise) who wants to make friends (with a foreigner or otherwise) is turn off your computer and get out there and talk to people.  Friendships develop over a period of time under natural circumstances, not as some kind of formal agreement.

Furthermore, her whole "I want to make friends with a laowai" pitch is an invitation to the most predatory of creeps. She should be more careful.

• NN
    NN wrote:

一个关于尤先生, 何小姐, 佘先生的笑话, 尤先生介绍其他两人和自己结识另一个新朋友。

尤: Hello, she is He, h.e.! (spelling)

朋友: so, she is he?

尤: yes!

尤: he is She, s.h.e.!

朋友: what, he is she?

尤: right!

尤: and i am You, y.o.u.!

朋友: oh, you are me?!........

一个房东(L)与“我”(M)的笑话,两人的英语不是母语,一天房东去“我”家里。

M: do you want to get some drinks?

L : do you have cock? (do you have coke?)

......-_-!!

发生在出租车上的故事,不是母语的英语。

Driver: Where do you from? (where are you go?)

Rider: China.

D: sorry, we can not do that.

R: why? are you a racist or what?

The above is really funny!~!!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.