Discussion » Film & TV » District 9

• Sheryl Zhong
    Sheryl Zhong wrote:

Highly recommend it, best film of this year (so far)...I remember there was another alien film depicting aliens from a similar angel, but that was more of a comedy...this one is unlikely to be on general release in China tho

http://www.sonypictures.co.uk/movies/district9/

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Watched it on Funshion Movie on Demand ... the first 20-30 min was quite boring, it got interesting when the agent had been "infected" by alien DNA (or something like that) ...

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

won't be on screen in China, and I can't find a place to download high resolution version, so...had to watch it online...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

DF, have a look at http://www.funshion.com and download Funshion... they have RMVB high-def version of many movies and TV series ...

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

!!!thanks!!! ding dang~~

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

DF ... glad to help ... in addition to "District 9", you should also find some of the latest TV series on Funshion, including Dark Blue and Supernatural Season 5, as well as Shrink by Kevin Spacey and Bionicle ... however, not all of them are good quality, and some of them might be dubbed with Mandarin ...

Oh oh oh ... they have got two of the four McDull movies in original Cantonese, and make sure you watch it in a sound proof room ... I laughed so hard that my stomach hurt ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

"My Life in Ruins" is online in Funshion ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Also on Funshion ...

Cheri with Michelle Pfeiffer

Laughing 哥之变节 (Cantonese version)

oh, and Scooby Doo 3 - The Mystery Begins

• Mai Quant
    Mai Quant wrote:

great movie! i just got it at the DVD store in Sanlitun- perfect quality:)

• Jacky Wong
    Jacky Wong wrote:

IS the movie have BD version?As a core gamer,I prefer full-hd movie,the graphics is much more impressive than DVD version,and have lots of fun such as BD live ,manu,feature,.......etc.(of course I'm not a hyper of BD player).

• Austin Moreno
    Austin Moreno wrote:

I saw it in America in August.  The first part was boring but then it picked up about 40 minutes later.  Not my cup of tea really.  I think the main actor was not right for the part.  I would say you are better off watching another movie and not wasting your time with this.  Just my thoughts though.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Yes ... the first bit was quite boring (I said 20-30, but I actually did not time it exactly, so Austin might be right about the first 40), and the fact that I have not listened to the accent of South African for quite a few years, had made me thinking about stopping and deleting it ... I am glad that I did not ...

In my opinion, the special effect was great ... the aliens were probably CG, but the actors were very good such that it looked real, especially when the aliens attacked them in the refugee camp, i.e. District 9.

Ignoring the idea of alien refugee on earth, the thought of a total outsider, at first discriminating against the aliens (making joke on them, hurting them etc), then after being infected by some substance and had grown a claw on his left hand, he became isolated (and betrayed) by his own people, then found friends among the aliens, and helped them to return to their mother ship etc ...

The theme of the movie is really nothing new ... though the idea of alien refugess on earth was a very interesting concept ...

• Jack Wang
    Jack Wang wrote:

Watched it before I came back to China from UK, fantastic film! brilliantly written and wonderfully conveyed. Definitely a master-piece to watch.

• Aurélien
    Aurélien wrote:

Downloaded it on mininova 1 week ago.

I pretty liked it, it's different from a lot of aliens movies.

• Garrett B
    Garrett B wrote:

I liked it alot. The documentary format pissed alot of people off, but I found it quite effective, and it only really followed that format for the first little bit. Once the main conflict picked up speed though, it was quite good all around. And yeah, the CG was great, and it just got better towards the end.

• Garrett B
    Garrett B wrote:

Yeah, exactly. These "Aliens come to Earth" movies are pretty much like a first-contact sort of "Are they friendly or are they trying to kill us?" kind of situation. This was cool because it was a more realistic look of what would probably happen in the long run. The more interesting question to me isn't "Could our army beat up their army?" but the question "How would this impact our lives?" The documentary format facilitated that to set the stage, then the rest of the movie was in the usual style.

It worked for me.

• Timothy Wang
    Timothy Wang wrote:
    omg...its nice to hear someone like the south african accent..
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    Latest on Funshion:
    "The Proposal" with Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds
    "The Taking of Pelham 123" with Denzel W and John Travolta
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ... Hahaha ... thanks, but you were one day too late ... "The Proposal" was just a light romantic comedy, so it was OK ... we were very disappointed with "The Taking of Pelham 123" ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    If anyone wants something more serious, "Surrogates" with Bruce Willis might get you thinking ... it is a mix of "Blade Runner" and "I Robot" ... it is on Funshion, but it's only a telesync version ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    Hahaha ... better than "The Taking"
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    District 9 is ok, using aliens to offer another perspective to reflect the relationship and conflict between humans. Like the song after this movie very much. Personally, I don't believe there is any alien in the universe. The occurence of human beings is just an accident. But I do believe one day we, humans, will creat "aliens" by ourself...
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

Sheryl, I used to be "open minded" about alien's existence until several years ago I watched a documentary film which showed  every step of  the formation of life was a miracle.

I understand your point. This universe is infinite huge (based on scientific research so far), anything could happen. The only thing you need is just imagine.

But for me, it's very hard to believe millions of miracles could appear again at the same time somewhere, so I choose not to buy alien stories until I see them by my eyes one day...

• 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

Sheryl, do you belive there is someone somewhere in the universe, you two have the same appearence, same height, same weight, same education, same life experience, same sex feelings, same minds...

If this universe is infinite big, there is a super super super tiny possibility to find another Sheryl in another planet. It's a miracle, but still could happen, right?:-)

What I try to say is perhaps there are too many possibilities in this unknown universe, and I have no ways to test them in my life. So I better to be realistic, leaving my imagination to the dreams.

• Saint - Spartacus
    seems the director or senator come from africa sth, but Peter Jackson studio was really sth too ... ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

The latest on Funshion:

"The Ugly Truth" with Katherine Heigl and Gerard Butler

"Numero 9" - a French animation

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

"Public Enemies" with Johnny Depp ... the latest on Funshion ...
  • 子新 王
    子新 王 wrote:
    .....DEPP新造型。。。呵呵,我还是比较喜欢第9区地。。。
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Funshion should have paid you some commission fee, DingDang, hahaha. Thanks for timely updating tho~
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

DF ... just doing my community service ... by the way, I just found "2012" on Funshion ... they also have "2012 Supernova", but that movie is really bad ...
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

didn't watch any new movies for a month…I want to be back to Beijing soon

• Ikra Yousaf
    Ikra Yousaf wrote:
    i saw it on Funshion... that was really a movie with real-time cinematography, editing was too marvelous to be, and the way the plot of story rewinds and forwards itself... it is just too good
  • Ruby Cai
    Ruby Cai wrote:
    jst watched it on funshion....cannot say i like it or dislike it...but jst image if it happened one day in real...hehe..it gona be terrible~~
  • Ed Legend
    Ed Legend wrote:
    I quite enjoyed this film - the whole futuristic apartheid message was an interesting concept, despite being largely forgotten about once the action began. The ending was a bit dull though.
  • Ruby Cai
    Ruby Cai wrote:
    ye...i do hope that alien would come back after 3yrs to fix him back to human...
  • DonkeyTonk
    DonkeyTonk wrote:
    I <3 prawns
  • Gael Oizel
    Gael Oizel wrote:
    Agree with Legend, u forgot that the movie is shoot by and in South Africa, which make this film so particular. There is an ironic / critic point of view about:

* the bloody cold weapon industry and their freaky merc (did it not remind u what happened in Irak recently with Black Water Corp.)

* the reverse apartheid effect on the alien which is a great reminder of what happened in South Africa like what... just 13 yrs ago! ... and the moving refugees camps which exist all across the world which hot spots in area such as Irak borders, Palestinian area, Pakistan, Caucasian or Kosovo region.
    [and yeah to have witness a bit of it and hear refugees talking... the film is just a bit under reality]

Conclusion? Through the alien excuse, the director remind us that yes, humans treat they own kind that way in many places all over our sad sad planet.

Sorry to throw this dark thought of mine...
    Have a good weekend still, plenty of good live music* Saturday and Sunday, don't miss it! Cheer. Gael.

*check YuGongYiShan program - and no, i'm not working for them.
  • Alicia WANG
    Alicia WANG wrote:
    i like the alien weapon!!!!so cool

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.