Discussion » Beijing Life » National Holiday ... would you ... ?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) wrote:

Q: Would you like to become a Chinese national?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Some of you might have heard that a lot of people want to become a Japanese national because there is a good pension scheme. And it is nothing new that HK folks were migrating in all kinds of directions (USA, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc) ...

So with the National holiday coming up soon, I am curious whether any of you would like to "migrate" to China! There is one condition here, and that is you must give up your original citizenship. We all have our vision and understanding of China, so knowing what you know, would you like to become a Chinese national?

PS. if this topic is too sensitive, please remove ... thanks.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

As far as i know, even someone would like to, it's still quit hard to get a Chinese citizenship. you have to marry a local people, you have to stay in China for a certain years, you have to have permanent residence within China's border, and you have to give up your citizenships other than China's......much much harder than getting a US one. getting a Japanese citizenship is generally of the same situation, they merely accept foreigners to become "one of them". After all, countries like China, Japan, Korea are not typical "countries of immigrants"...

btw, are there any good points to become Chinese citizen??

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Q: dont you guys sleep? hahaha ...

Some more background about this thread topic ... I was reading the China Daily while minding my own business (not a pretty picture) when I came up with this thread topic yesterday ... it was about a few foreigners who had been invited to participate (I must be getting very old, my fingers keep missing the "i" after "part", 3 times) in a march on 1st Oct or something like that, and they said that they were honored and excited ... that reminded me of the (annual) local Australian news where some immigrants would be picked to swear in their citizenship ceremony on Australia Day (26th Jan), and then they would be interviewed etc ... well, you get my point, I think ...

Like I had said, "we all have our vision and understanding of China, so knowing what you know" ... to answer your (DF and Peter) questions, I dont know what is the benefit of becoming a Chinese citizenship, I was kind of hoping someone might say "yes" and then write pages about all kinds of benefits ... maybe some of the local folks can throw in a few things to "build" the case?

Remember, the point here is "knowing what you know", i.e. right now at this moment, and by knowing the benefit, it will perhaps change your opinion, though not necessary your actions ... I am a foreigner and have no desire (or need) to become a national, I just want to see if maybe some of you might like China enough to want to become a national ...

Need to get back to my daily business ... another ugly picture ...

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

Chinese citizenship is an albatross. It makes going anywhere else pretty damn impossible. As Peter said, what would be the advantage?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Damn ... we seem to run out of toilet paper ...

One brief point about myself perhaps ... I migrated to Australia in 1992 because I had studied and lived there for 7 years prior and loved the country and people, while did not care much about any benefit ... so my point (again) is that I am more interested to know if anyone would like to become a national because of what you know now, not necessary because of any benefit ...

• 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

One benefit I could think is if you got Chinese citizenship, it would be much easier and cheaper to visit North Korea.

In some occasions, you don' t even need a passport to go there, only a border permit, and the fee is  much cheaper compared with other citizens from developed countries.

But even as a Chinese, you are still not allowed to take pictures or speak to ordinary people there. Damn! Perhaps we  need to get much more closer with this Bastard country!

Other benefits? I'm still thinking...

• Wildcat
    Wildcat wrote:

If you really like here , nothing can stop you to be a national,even if there is no any benifit .Anyway ,no one stops you choosing another country or places.

• Emaline Yuan
    Emaline Yuan wrote:

Wildcat,

I totally agree with you. Just choosing somewhere you really feel comfortable,thats it!

whats more,you should love it more and more from heartttt once you have settled down,:)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... been running around BJ in circle today actually ... and finally got some toilet paper ...

Though more responses than I had expected, and most of them not really referring to the question I asked ... however, Peter B and Maria had provided some non-benefits that might help ...

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

I'm happy i'm a Chinese, and sure, i'm proud of it--the country, the nation, and its history and culture...but as to benefits...I don't know...give me some clue, 叮当~

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

DF, I am Chinese by DNA, though not born in China, and I am also proud of the heritage and history (minus some sad chapters) ...

As I said before, I dont know about the benefit(s) of becoming a Chinese national, and I am not here to sell the idea either ... I was just wondering, if anyone here (mainly the non Chinese nationals) might love China enough to consider losing their original nationality and adopting a Chinese one ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Try not to think too much about the rationale behind it (i.e. dont consider the advantages and disadvantages) ... just think about the emotional reason(s) ...

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

Umm...I've heard lots of DPRKer really want to do so, hehe

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

why don't you just say you miss those lovely amendments, Peter, haha.

I don't want a US citizenship anyway, even China begin to recognize dual citizenship someday -- US citizenship makes you quit unsafe in certain area in the world...a green card is enough, haha

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

btw...I never consider the "right" stated in the 2nd amendment a good one, while I love the 1st so much...

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

Wowowo, Peter, you typical Yankee, hahaha

btw, I really love those "BAD MOVIES"! keep on producing them~~

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Peter is a Yankee? Cannot imagine ... hmmmm ...

Oh guys, over here, woo-hooo, talking about "Chinese nationals" and any possible benefits, not the US Constituitions ... hello? over here ...

Damn ... "doctor, I am afraid we have lost them" ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Local time is 30 Sept, 7:15 am ... less than 24 hours to go now ...

So, could any of the local folks actually tell us what is the benefit of becoming a Chinese national, other than the "fun" of getting visas for traveling to the rest of the world, including Hong Kong and Macau ... ?

And, the question again, would any of the non local folks consider changing nationality ONLY because the love of this country and its people?

Happy holiday :)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

The march just started on TV, the weather is just right and everyone has a big warm smile on their face (on TV)... so, can I conclude here that no one would consider becoming a Chinese national, despite how much they said they love Beijing or this country? Not that this should be important anyway, right?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Sorry I had to remove these last two posts ... I believe the phrase that I was looking for is something like "action speaks louder than words" ... thanks, and good evening ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I cannot agree more ... I was just curious if any of the non local folks would consider losing their own nationality in exchange for a Chinese passport only because they love this country, despite there might be no benefit ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... maybe in another decade or two, China will become such a world power that people will line up outside the embassy to want to become a Chinese national ... and then no one would go to UK or Oz or USA ...

• Tian 王倚天

I would relinquish any citizenship for a Chinese passport. Why not again be apart of your own motherland and the greatest in the world?

China is diverse I really wouldn't need to travel outside of it.

• Aurélien
    Aurélien wrote:

>China is diverse I really wouldn't need to travel outside of it.

>Why not again be apart of your own motherland and the greatest in the world?

Errr....  I know it was the national day and that you're very happy but...

Seriously. I mean. SERIOUSLY. I think it's a little too much.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Tian ... what citizenship do you actually hold now? And I wonder if you could perhaps shed some light about the benefit(s) of becoming a Chinese national? Oh, you can skip mentioning the "fun" of the need to get visas, we all know that ...

Also, you have probably heard of the old Chinese saying "reading ten thousand books is not as good as traveling then thousand miles", China is big, but we cannot deny that the world is ALWAYS bigger ... so perhaps you can share you view WHY you would not need to travel outside China?

• Jack Wang
    Jack Wang wrote:

Nah, I'm keeping my UK Citizenship as an chinese-englishmen haha, easier to travel around european union, and states.

• Tian 王倚天

Something upsets you guys about loving the motherland?

I don't deny anything, I just love the motherland. The benefits of being a citizen are being able to acquire a spot on the communist party if one is to be so privileged, being able to serve for the great military on earth, accessing the most diverse culture in the world, meeting the most amazing people from all walks of life, I could go on.

You don't think so?

I don't care about anyone's desires about traveling in and out of China, I just know that i wouldn't need to. Does that make you angry? lol

• Aurélien
    Aurélien wrote:

No, that make me think you are close minded.

But well, no offense.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I am also thinking about the same ... but seriously, the most diverse culture in the world? I have not seen a decent Mexican restaurant in Beijing and no one here watches Rugby ...

Dont want to travel outside China? Or have had too much trouble getting visas, and cannot get out?

I am not angry ... I am actually laughing ...

• Tian 王倚天

I don't think your problem is with my views, but with the fact that there are still people like me around. Communists. It's very predictable..just say it.

叮噹: Anyone could express their opinions behind the computer, the fact which you cannot even display a photo of yourself representing your ideals speak volumes. And just for your information, I hold a Canadian passport, which allows me to go anywhere in the world. I don't need a visa to go anywhere because I work for the federal government. But I am curious what a aged man like you is doing on a social network like this hiding your face playing freethinker with young people, trouble at home?

Sheryl: I don't understand what mick is...is that a drug?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Huh?
    Predictable?
    Who said anything about Communists?
    And what about Communists?

Hahaha ... I just miss my Mexican food, as well as cricket and Rugby matches, and I cannot agree with the part about "diverse culture". And if you like to stay home, and sit behind the computer expressing your opinion, feel free, hahaha, afterall, this is a free world, isnt it?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    Oh, the new interface had hidden some of the words from Tian ... so Tian holds a Canadian passport, huh? OK ...
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

Much more friends of mine who's live or ever lived in a foreign countries have ever clearly told me that when the feel of novelty soon and finally ended, China is still the most interesting country in their mind. (They used the word of "most interest", not "most loved")

I donno why, maybe partly because of culture belongingness and historical recognition, but they did pointed out material benefits: if you're born in a middle class family, and you're not interested in the right to vote and not interested in those blocked foreign websites, China may be the most damn free country in the world, as long as your actions are not too far away from what the masses think what is proper. Oh, some of them also mentioned the much more night life choices, more advanced public accommondation, more feel of safety even you're walking in a suburban area in the middle night, much much more yummy Chinese food, no age-related achohol restriction, and the ease to obtain the most cult, freak and obscene movies ever produced and XXX rated, and etc

But it seems that those "benefits" are still nothing to do with a Chinese citizenship, its more like benefits provided by where you are, but not what passport you're holding...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... love the one about no age restriction on alcohol (I dont drink though, dont smoke too) ... but I cannot find the XXX rated movies ...

DF ... you forgot to mention the cheap internet rate, cheap food, cheap transportation ... which we are all enjoying without the need to be a Chinese national ...

• John
    John wrote:

No thanks. I like being an American regardless of what problems we as a country may have at the moment. At the same time, a lot of people here don't seem to think I'm American so it works for me in certain situations I guess. Being who I am, I really don't see any benefit in gaining Chinese citizenship. I enjoy staying here sometimes and how I have the opportunity to learn about a foreign culture but that's pretty much where it ends.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

Yeah, DD, for most of time I donno where my paid taxes went to, the moment when I use my 一卡通 is a exception:)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

When is "thanks giving"? It is in November, right?

Anyway ... I am sorry to see that, though many people in this community said how much they like/love the country and/or the city, no one would consider adopting the nationality ... oh well ...

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Why do you bump threads and respond to them yourself?

Start a new thread about Thanksgiving if you're so eager to discuss it.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I dont know anything about "thanks giving" ... sorry ...
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    You don't know how to start a new thread, either.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... I meant that I dont know anything about "thanks giving", so I dont want to start an empty thread ... and at the moment, I cannot think of anything that I need to start a new thread ...
  • 王经纬
    王经纬 wrote:
    哈哈 Da Fan ,虽然有些朋友总有“传教”的志向,但是咱们也不能不让人家“传教“啊. 很多时候,都是很好的理念,但是实际操作起来不一定好用,或者不一定做到!有部电影叫做什么来着”看上去很美“! 可能说的是这个意思吧。

To 叮噹
    ”running around BJ in circle today actually ... and finally got some toilet paper “
    hahahah lol what a roll of valued toilet paper !!

and the story from Sheryl Zhong about the "prank " calling was so funny too,hahaha
    Yep, so far we can not see much benefit from getting Chinese nationality, it doesnt look attractive ,and I guess Chinese dont have the desire or plan to make it more attractive too !

As far as I am concerned, there might be more people who changed their nationality because of the benefit than the people who did it just for love. But maybe they are the same, because of that the more benefits you get from something, the more you love it !!
    所以说,除了天生的文化认同感的原因之外,多数人的爱与不爱,可能还是看个人的经历和利益吧!我猜想。。
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

有些时候,过分理智,是一种遗憾...
  • Jonathan
    Jonathan wrote:
    to 叮铛
    running around BJ in circle today actually ... and finally got some toilet paper

Actually, you can buy toilet paper around toilet.
    Actually, you can find toilet with toilet paper in Mcdonald's or KFC.
    Actually, you can find the toilet with toilet paper in 3, 4, 5 star holel.
    Actually, you have many choosing to solve this problem in 15 mins...

Thus, maybe you are working for the toilet company, and do the market research and find the demand? I think you more like The Comedians of Comedy... and actually I also admire that you can endure physiological reaction long time and running around BJ...

For the National problem... I think one MAN should be Honor because of what he done for the society, not because of his National.

Do you know why? because gold do be gold anywhere, and shit do be shit anywhere.

By the way, if you can find some demand of BJ toilet, just tell me, I think I can invest for you. I like you, you are so funny.

God bless you.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.