Discussion » Film & TV » NEW indie bands

• Sheryl Zhong
    Sheryl Zhong wrote:

Apart from Fleet Foxes and Animal Collective, who do you think is not hyped but worth listening at the moment?

I need stimulation and the era of true indie seems over, everything is so poppy and full of shite...

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

I haven't tuned in lately to what's happening in the non-Chinese music scene. Hmm... check out Jay Reatard, Wolf Parade, Wavves, Black Kids, Crystal Antlers, Orson, Handsome Furs, Malcolm Middleton, Fever Ray and the Welcome Wagon for some inspiration.

By the way, I don't what all the fuss is about concerning Animal Collective and Fleet Foxes. To me, they're absolutely BORING.

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Wild Beasts seem like a lot of fun.

Nothing sonically extraordinary here in Beijing has happened this summer. Helen's (Pet Conspiracy) other project recently posted some excellent new demos, a few bluesy rock bands (Nanwu, G-ELEVEN) released their debut LPs and... that's really about it. A lot of Britpop-y bands and Carsick Cars-influenced clones are doing their thing, too.

Everyone is slobbering over Soviet Pop, a Carsick Cars spinoff project, but I haven't heard them yet.

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

I'll have to check out those guys. Heard good things about both of them, but have never listened to them.

Sure, there are a lot of imitative bands here in China, but the scene is far more developed and diverse than it was earlier this decade, when most were carbon copies of their Western counterparts.

I think, and those more knowledgeable than me can add their insights, that Hang on the Box, Joyside, New Pants, SUBS, Glorious Pharmacy and P.K. 14 ushered in the age of sonic creativity and experimentation here in China.

Now bands are citing them (as well as their predecessors like Carsick Cars, the Gar and RE-TROS) as major influences. So it's more accurate to say that a bigger problem here in the PRC are young Chinese bands imitating older Chinese bands.

Punk and metal, I think, will always be rooted in similar sounds -- regardless of the country. DIY-ethic, one-note guitar riffs, Mohawks. Check.

Harmonized guitars, Cookie Monster vocals, fat kids in band T-shirts. Check.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.