Discussion » Nonsense » ARE YOU HAPPY WITH YOUR JOB?

• Jem Lim
    Jem Lim wrote:

Out of curiosity, can you guys tell me if you're happy with your job or does it always get in the way with your life? If given a chance, would you rather do something else or are you completely comfy slacking off inside an office cube?

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

Let's see. I work 6 months of the year and get paid for 10, I work 20 hours a week, I get a free apartment, when I actually do work I work a maximum of 20 hours a week and I basically get paid to talk to people.

It's pure hell.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Where is this hell? Got vacancy?

• Jem Lim
    Jem Lim wrote:

Peter Baird: In case you wanted to quit, let me know. oh yeah sure mate, they probably don't offer tea and cookie break and must be hell for you? LOL

Alex: That sounds amazing yo. Did you get your job out of sheer luck or was it the reason you moved here in Beijing?

• Jem Lim
    Jem Lim wrote:

i brought this topic up in light of the recent complaints i've been hearing from other expats on how poorly-paid-over-worked they are with their current jobs. i am not very sure if this has something to do with the sudden influx of foreigners in beijing who are looking for work, or probably blame the current global economic crisis - but i can also feel how fierce job competition has become since i came here last year.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

It really depends on the particular job itself ...

Most people has a perception that foreigners are usually paid well, because there are indeed individuals working the same 40 hours, while getting paid 5 or 6 digits per month.

Most teachers get pretty much the same deal as how Peter B described (but feel free to correct me if I am wrong): one return ticket each year, free room and board, plenty of free time, but not a lot of money.

I dont think it is due to the climate .. because it had been like this for more than a few years ...

• Jem Lim
    Jem Lim wrote:

totally agree, not a lot of money.

and given the high cost of living in beijing, the amount we get paid equates to the amount we spend. i'm beginning to embrace cheapskate lifestyle starting with a .4 mao bus ride back and forth hehe.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

There are two points to note here ... the first is how much one gets paid, and the other is how much one spends.

Well, it is fair to say that most "migrant workers" working at building sites dont even make as much as your guys ... and they still manage to scrap up enough to send home ...

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

My job certainly obstructs my life. Have to be on the ball 24/7.

And my co-workers are assholes.

• Jem Lim
    Jem Lim wrote:

叮噹 there are definitely cheap finds and huge discount offers in the city, the problem is that most are available only for locals and yeah, those who can read and speak chinese can haggle pretty well.

*pokes pete* you love your job are you kidding me?! :P it's like your virtual home.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... I am glad that I can read Chinese to know what I want to eat, and then order it with my poor Mandarin dialect ... depending on where you are, there are cheap eats all over Beijing, just look for any place that no foreigner will go ...

If anyone is in the Da Tun area, there is a food court downstairs at Di-Wu-Da-Dao, just get a plastic debit card, and you can have a fairly full meal for less than 15 yuans.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • Jem Lim
    Jem Lim wrote:

my bad my bad... that was for another person's page LOL...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... you are one strange lady ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

It beats me how we managed to pull the topic from jobs to cheap eats ...

Look for anything like (or similar to) 成都小吃 (Cheng Du Xiao Chi) ... you can get fairly stuffed for 7 yuans for a plate of fried rice, but it is quite unhealthy and oily ... if you dont like oily fried rice, the noodles in soup costs around 5 or 6 ...

You can also try to find those 桂林米粉 (Gui Lin Mi Fen), a bowl of noodles in soup costs around 8 (one extra yuan for a boiled egg will guarantee to stuff you) ... I remember seeing a few of these around Gu Lou area actually ...

• Winnie
    Winnie wrote:

isnt cheng du xiao chi bu gan jin? eat cheap, try cooking...

im not quite happy with my job.  i guess most ppl have problems and dissatisfaction with their job. but when i think about other jobs, i know i like what i do!

when i was little, i always wanted to grow up to be a fashion designer. but even if i was, i would not be happy(can not deal with the whole fashion thing and "fashionable ppl")

what do i want to do? i just want to do well with what i do now...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... the side-topic was about cheap eat, not whether it is clean or hygenic ... maybe if we think about it this way: many people eat at those places everyday and they had survived, so it cannot be that unclean, right? 

By the way, I used to love this nice little place along Da Wang Lu when we moved there in mid 2006. However, after we have seen where the waiter unload the dust pan after he had swept it (i.e. into the container where all the bowls and plates are supposed to be washed), we promised we will never go back ... the moral of this story is, what appears to be clean, might not necessary be the case, so dont hold any prejudice against Cheng Du Xiao Chi or similar ...

As for the cost of home cooking, it depends on what you cook ... the mullet we had for dinner last night cost about 12 yuans, it worked out to be around 15 yuans for two if we count the vege ... a whole steak fillet from Jenny Lou's is around 140 yuans, and it can fill up 4 people ... a 500g pack of Australian parmasan costs around 80 yuans from Carrefour, throw in some pasta, tomato, mushroom, you are looking at around 100 yuans in total to feed 4 people ...

Hahahaha ... sorry, guess I'd got carried away ... I should start a new thread about this ...

• Jem Lim
    Jem Lim wrote:

叮噹 why not start your own restaurant where all laowais can eat at a price of a yuan????? that'd totally rock! and we wouldn't really mind "dusty" food as long as we won't have hepatitis B, C worse D lol..

winnie, you can still pratice being a fashionista in day to day living i guess.. :) besides, those ramp models can be really nastay who wants to work with them anyways hahaha (it;s this bitter overweight spirit talking)

boohoo... i've always wanted to be an astronaut and see space. then i wanted to become an archeologist and dig, dig, dig! none materialized because these courses are not offered in manila, i ended up being a writer :D The Irony.

• Jem Lim
    Jem Lim wrote:

alex... try ordering at li hua, they deliver :D a box of food for 8, 10 and 15 kuai. but i never guarantee that they taste great!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... one yuan? We are talking about "cheap eats", not "trying to bankrupt the restaurant".

As a matter of fact, a lot of people (including my wife) had asked me to think about doing this ... I enjoyed eating and cooking, so maybe a little corner shop for home cooked meals would not be a bad idea ... let me get back to you on that one ...

• Jem Lim
    Jem Lim wrote:

叮噹 if your meals will cost more than 15 kuai, i will burn your restaurant down!!!! :P

You can name your resto: I'm Cheap On Skates : then all your waitresses wear rollerskates and a tiny pink dress :D Goodbye Hooters!

... there, you found a new career!!! (cos we're veering away from our original topic, damn you! LOL)

• Claudia
    Claudia wrote:

Life is very difficult,Sometimes you can not choose.

• Jem Lim
    Jem Lim wrote:

I beg to disagree Claudia.. We only live this life once, we better make it rock!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I agree with Alex ...

As a Catholic, I believe that people are always given choices ... when someone said that they have no choice, it just meant that one choice is more favourable than the other(s) ...

Oh, about Hooters ... the Beijing Hooters is far below my expectation, and I was not even talking about the girls ... it is supposed to be an American style restaurant, right? Hell, even my wife thinks their burger is too small ... Outback beats it hands down ...

• Tian 王倚天

I'm in the Military, I wake up at 5am everyday, trained intensively for something I don't think I'm ever going to do for the last 6 yrs. I forgot what "like" felt like.

• Jem Lim
    Jem Lim wrote:

叮噹 true. outback stands out. not only their burgers but as well as their steaks.

tian, why did you enter the military in the first place? is it something cumpolsary in china? like in s.korea?

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Zhaohong
    China, as a whole, has the one of the highest personal savings rates in the world.

Link

• Jem Lim
    Jem Lim wrote:

well pete, i dunno about that lol.. i burn my savings most of the times so yeah.. maybe it's just me.

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

The fact that you managed to save in the first place means something, right?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Jem, that's a simple matter of financial planning for your own future ...

The current post-80 generation in China, is usually nicknamed "moonlight tribe"! "moon" is the same character as "month" in Chinese, whereas "light" is the same character as "no more", so "moonlight tribe" refers to those people who has no money left every month.

When I talked to anyone of this group, I usually started with the stupid question, "where had all your money gone", and they usually gave me the silly answer "I dont know" ... to make a long story short, you might want to consider recording your expense, starting now, and in a few months, this should give you a very clear indication of where you spent most of your money, what might be considered "unnecessary" and hence can be minimised etc ...

Hope that helps ...

• NN
    NN wrote:

I have complicated feeling to my job

I like it,but it makes me stress out a lot,I hate that feeling ... ...

• Tian 王倚天

Jen: I'm in the Canadian Military, however if I lived in China I would most likely to have joined the PLA. It's not mandatory (at all) to enlist in China...plenty highschool drop outs to go around in the motherland as it is.

• Jem Lim
    Jem Lim wrote:

nina: find a hobby that should decompress you whenever you're working hours done :) might help ease stress.

tian:  same in the states. army priviledges make a good bait for those living in the poor suburbs. wise choice in joining canadian military, canadians are very peace-loving people hehehehe....

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

tian: of course it's not mandatory to be enlisted in China, or China'll have the world's largest national defence budget...80% or more personal cost :P

Jem: my work is so boring but i can't find any seemingly interest work in financial service field, so i give up to try to find happiness in work--i'm not unhappy, but work is just work for me, the way how i earn my purchase power~~any way it pays me good, so im satisfied abt it, but currently i start to get interested in camera and lense, so......

Pete: our savings rate is falling...-_-...

• Ci Jiayin
    Ci Jiayin wrote:

The company which I have been working about 3 months, everyday I think about get out of this company...there is no human right here...

I'm not working at bank, and there are the webcams everywhere in the office.  There is the office system in the computer, everyday morning need log in to make sure I'm not late before 8:30am, after 6:30pm, log off to make sure I'm not leaving the office earlier, now the new rules just came out which is even using the WC, have to log out then log in..=_=!!

That just a small sample...

• Xx
    Xx wrote:

no

• Yang Scorpio
    Yang Scorpio wrote:

job is job, tool of making money

• Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:

"Good luck is a lazy man’s estimate of a worker’s success."
    Author Unknown

"Better to wear out than rust out."
    Bishop Cumberland

"I've had enough success for two lifetimes,
    My success is talent put together with hard work and luck."
    Kareem Abdul-Jabar

"You don't get paid for the hour.
    You get paid for the value you bring to the hour."
    Jim Rohn

"The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work."
    Mark Twain

"I never did anything worth doing by accident,
    nor did any of my inventions come by accident; they came by work."
    Thomas Edison

"Work while others are wishing."
    William Arthur Ward, from Believe while others ….

"Many people quit looking for work when they finally get a job."
    Author Unknown, from Achieve Your Dreams

"Don't be afraid to give your best to what seemingly are small jobs.
    Every time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger.
    If you do the little jobs well, the big ones will tend to take care of themselves."

Dale Carnegie

"If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all."
    Michelangelo

"There is no substitute for hard work."
    Thomas Edison

Also check out:

www.workhappynow.com

www.zenhabits.net

www.workawesome.com

• 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

Totally agree with Kent's quotations.

There are three kinds of people who could be successful: a) have a super stong background; b) have exceptional intelligence; c) hard working, hard working, hard working...

For 99.999999-------------% of people do not belong to first two categories, then hard working is the only chance that you could succeed! 

Yes, you may need  a little bit luck, education, wisdom... but remember hard working is always the foundation.

So don't blame your job. Change you attitude and you will live happier!

• Mingyue
    Mingyue wrote:

这周是我大学毕业后最痛苦的一周,除了办业务少了五百之外,身心俱疲,痛苦至极

• NN
    NN wrote:

Jem Lim

3 weeks ago

nina: find a hobby that should decompress you whenever you're working hours done :) might help ease stress.

Plz accept my belated thankfulness,sweet Jem :)

• NN
    NN wrote:

and yes,I do have my lovely hobby PHOTOGRAPHY ;)

• Sab
    Sab wrote:

Peter, the question was, "do you like your job?" Eventhough you do not work much and have lot's of benefits, you still can be bored during that short time of making money. I agree with people, who even work a lot, if they are enjoying it, for example artist people, it does not matter how long they need to work if its their passion.

I used to call the people who are suffering in an office and chatting on MSN when nobody watches. They selling out themself just like a prostitute, doing something they dont enjoy only for the money, they payed for their time not for their performance.

Our goal should be to find a job we could love, and not satisfied the parents to having a respected job like teacher or doctor if we are not the best at it, or having  a job what pays well but we are not creating anything special in it and cannot make ourself happy by the work.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.