Discussion » Film & TV » Dr.Strangelove

• Cherry Xu
    Cherry Xu wrote:

Anybody fancy about Kubrick's movie:Dr.Strangelove or how i stop worrying and love the Bomb?

Im quite impressed by it, but honestly speaking, cannot figure out some points about the movie. In fact, I have trouble understanding the name itself. Why strangelove? So confused.

Oh if anyone love watching movies i would love to talk to them!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • Cherry Xu
    Cherry Xu wrote:

Checked before. Definitely this movie is older than me too. Well i have to admit IMDB is a great website about movies and sometimes i consult from that. But the comments there r a little bit too emotion-lacked, the"professional ones" prefer to talk about the strategy that the director used or the production, the genre, or the acting skills, i like none of them. I want to hear something come from the audience' heart,

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • Cherry Xu
    Cherry Xu wrote:

I really appreciate ur help. But those comments are all from critics n i dont like them at all.

Anyway, would love to know somebody from this web who've seen the movie before n we can talk about it!

• Jem Lim
    Jem Lim wrote:

As far as I can remember, USAF Gen. Jack Ripper is obsessed in nuking then Soviet Union.(I'd like to think he was pictured as manic depressive /delusional).

Probably, Strangelove's name is a way to figuratively emphasize the irony of him blaming the "Communist's conspiracy" (which is, to contaminate American's body fluids) for his various sexual issues, (i.e erectile dysfunction).

Might be a case of  "strange-love-of-self, got-out-of-hand."

For one, this movie is a classic sample of Black Comedy and so it shouldn't surprise you hearing mostly satirical lines in the film.  Since it was shown in the 60's during the heat of Cold War, I'd like to think that the purpose of the film is to discuss a serious political issue in comedic form.

I have watched tons of movies in my life, unfortunately, this is not one of my favorites. I am not a certified critic though, and I am replying to your question on a personal note.

If you are looking for some serious reviews, synopsis, actors' bio, even trivias and quotes try and visit www.imdb.com. Should give you an idea on the best and worst flicks based on genres.

• Cherry Xu
    Cherry Xu wrote:

Yeah i can tell that this is from ur personal views.

I will consult the website if i need some professional comments. And now really happy to know that u r also a movie lover+couch potato as i do...

Black humor can be very hard to understand to some people, but very easy to capture to the person who easily sense the essence of the movie. For me , i prefer Monty Python and the Holy Grail better, also a type of black humor movie.

Well, gr8t to talk about movies with u. Enjoyable!

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

It's Strange GLOVE dear. He is so named because he has a big glove on one hand that he isn't able to control.

The movie came out in 1964, a time when the world was on the brink nuclear war, and it was intended as a sataire of the cold war, Great film by one of the greatest directors of all time. Paths of Glory, Sparatacus, Lolita, A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket are also great Kubrick films...although none of them are as funny.

Incidentally, the star of the film (Peter Sellers) plays three diffrent parts in the movie-Dr. Strangeglove, the American presidant and the British soldier.

• Jem Lim
    Jem Lim wrote:

Peter dude, we are pretty sure it's Dr. Strangelove .. lol.. Even google, wikipedia, IMDB, and my memory says so...  But if this is for humor sake, then- STRANGE GLOVE it is :P

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

Alex gets it. It is Strange glove. Trust me.  Great movie.

• Cherry Xu
    Cherry Xu wrote:

I still believe that it's Strangelove...But i have to say that peter impress me a lot with the who"glove" thing, that reallly gives me a new attitude towards the character. And thx for Alex's further explanation about the doctor. When i recall the movie, the funny Nazi gesture makes me laugh a lot. The actor's performance is amazing!

It's so nice to have all u guys to talk about the movie.I enjoy the feeling.

Thx again...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.