Discussion » Film & TV » how many laowai here reading this are able to read

• Pomatree
    Pomatree wrote:

research purpose, let's hear it, entertaining a bit together.

• Man TianFei
    Man TianFei wrote:
    丈二和尚摸不着头脑。
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

"able to read" what?

• Jove CAO
    Jove CAO wrote:

chinglish? even me can not understand what you said....... I am a native chinese!!!!!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Pomatree ... if I could have an honest word, some of your English is really incomprehensible ... so since most of the people on this site can read Chinese anyway, could you perhaps re-write the topic in Chinese?

• Pomatree
    Pomatree wrote:

be able to read Chinese

sorry there is a words limit of the title?

我只是想说不知道住在中国的非native中文speakers,能不能看懂中文。 

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Well, in such case, you could have shortened it to "how many foreigners (in China) could read Chinese", but if we think about this, the topic does not really make much sense, because:

1. were you referring to Traditional or Simplified Chinese?
    2. were you referring to northern or southern Chinese?

Most importantly, the number of foreigners in this community is only a very small subset, and some of them are not in China or had never been to China, so they can hardly be a good sampling for your question or research

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

I can read about 300 characters. Not enough.

• Pomatree
    Pomatree wrote:

peter

thank you for using word like euphemism, it's my word of today, what's the new word your learned today.im talking about Chinese one. but the word reseach isnt 委婉的,it's the truth. it is a research. you might find out what's it for later if you clever or hanging out on the website long enough. you may not.

I am very serious. Peter.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Being a disgusting low-life (as Sheryl once said) and with poor education and cannot speak much Chinese (as Shino once said), I am honored to be quoted by one of the greatest minds on this site. However, with 91kg in weight, I can only be as "light" as I try, hahaha

Referring to (1)...

Though obvious, to me, Trad Chinese will always represent the heritage of China, whereas Simp Chinese would always be a short-hand version ... we could perhaps compare words like "email" in English, which actually means "electronic mails", or abbreviation such as "fyi" or "btw".

Most of us know that Trad and Simp are different and it is highly possible that people from overseas might have learnt Trad Chinese instead of Simp Chinese. I myself learnt/wrote/read Trad Chinese for most of the 43 years of my life, though I might sometimes get lazy and write some in Simp Chinese. I am not sure where everyone came from (referring only to the foreigners of this community, including both Chinese and non Chinese natives), but it is possible that they have learnt Trad Chinese but not Simp ... right?

Referring to (2) ...well, she did say "in China" ... right? Or did I mis-understand what she meant

I certainly did not care much about the "why" ... it is impossible (and non practical)  to ask "why" about most of the threads and discussions on this site, but being an ex teacher (of course, not a good one, since I know nothing about, well, anything), I was more concerned about the wordings, guess it was a habit, again, another bad habit ... obvious, right? ...

• Pomatree
    Pomatree wrote:

没事 机器猫 咱两能说中文 反正他们老外也看不懂

• Pomatree
    Pomatree wrote:

给我掏个门出来吧 趁没人

• Pomatree
    Pomatree wrote:

要活学活用

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I grew up with traditional Chinese value, which I dare to say (and also sad to see) is fading away in this generation, and probably will be lost in the next. Part of that "value" is our history, and the complicated version of Chinese characters is a part of it. 

After the Qin emporer conquered the other 6 "nations", China became one country, and the emporer decided to standardise the Chinese charaters. Over the years, the character sets had evolved and had become part of the Chinese culture and heritage. Each character has its own history and story, and by introducing the Simplified character set, the story of many characters are lost, e.g.

1. "old" - simplified is 旧, complicated is 舊

2. "tears" - simplified is 泪, complicated is 涙

3. "an exceptional person" - simplified is 杰, complicated is 傑

4. my surname - simplified is 刘, complicated is 劉

As a Chinese, I do not wish to see this kind of heritage being lost because of so called the need for evolution, and I am sure any foreigner can appreciate that. I myself do not support the (general) use of Simplified Chinese, though sometimes, it might be a lazy way to get around, like using "btw" or "fyi". If the use of Simplified Chinese should persist, I hope that some scholars would at least keep record of the stories of the previous character sets, and brought this onto the future generations.

One sad fact ... over the last 3.5 years in Beijing, I have been told many times that the current generation actually cannot read much of the complicated Chinese character sets and to me, that is like not knowing your own heritage and history.

There are Chinese living all over the world, some learnt the Simplified Chinese, while others learnt the complicated set, and I do not believe the Chinese government has the power or authority to erase the use of complicated Chinese characters anywhere. By having two sets of Chinese characters, it can get very confusing, perhaps similar to the stand of Taiwan independence, right?

To use another example ... try to imagine if the US government started their own set of English words and dictionary and claimed that it is the standard of English ... I am sure most people would find it hard to accept ... small things like "organisation" Vs "organization" still confuses the hell of many people ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I have to ask ... what actually happened on June 4, 1989? What does the record say?

• Alex
    Alex wrote:

我不知道认识多少汉字,我汉语在学校学了两年,最竟是我自己学的...as we use to say...随便学的哈! ~

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

1. I agree with the "beauty of the human mind", but that is only if the education system feeds the mind with knowledge and information ... as I asid before, quite a few people I have met in BJ cannot read the more complex set of Chinese characters. So the beauty is there, but some part of it is quite cloudy.

2. Using your example, being poorly educated, I did not know about "courier d' electronique" ... and I am sorry about that ... and for people who only has similar level of education, would they know "courier d' electronique" instead of "email"?

3. Actually, I quite welcome new concepts (never tried drugs before though), and I never said that the new-age stuff is bad, or did I?

And how you managed to put sex, drugs and rock and roll, together with Simplified Chinese in one category, that really intrigues me ... I am sure Elvis would not agree.

Referring to my comments about "respect" in another thread, which you had asked so very nicely before ... as a child, we were taught about "respect" in books (from school) and in the family, and I am sad to see that the current education system does not consider this as a curriculum, nor most families teach their kids about manners, respect etc ...

As a child, we also had to learn Chinese penmanship (书法), which is mostly based on Trad Chinese character sets (except 草书, which might even be the origin of Simp Chinese). So if Trad Chinese is not taught, most people would not know how to write it, and hence the "beauty" of this will also be lost. I cannot help but wonder if names like Picaso or de Angelo might now appear when you reply, please do that!

4. Peter, again, being poorly educated, I am sorry that I cannot make my point very clear, so if you would be so kind, I will try again ...

Like many locals had asked me beofre, and as Shino had quite interestingly assumed, "do you speak Chinese", or "do you know how to read Chinese" ... if I am anywhere but China, a simple "yes" would suffix, but referring to your repeatedly use of the word "obvious" earlier, now that I am in China, I will have to say "no", and then tried to explain that I am Chinese native, though I dont speak Mandarin very well, nor do I write Simp Chinese, but I can speak Cantonese, read/write Traditional Chinese and can read Simp Chinese. So, what is "obvious", it's really not very "obvious".

As you have quite nicely pointed out, with so many "why, why, why" ... well, for many thousand of years, the Traditional Chinese character set had been in place ... to answer your questions, we probably need to warp back a few thousand years ago, when the current character set was being introduced.

Personal question: why do you like to "guess" what people are saying? Or was it because my level intelligence is so low that I cannot make myself very clear?

The use of Simp Chinese is well supported in many nations, but Trad Chinese is also still widely used and taught. So who really has the authority to stand up and say, the Simp Chinese is now the standard?

• Pomatree
    Pomatree wrote:

彼得 你是对我弹琴还是钢琴了?你怎么知道我姓啥的!?说!

• Pomatree
    Pomatree wrote:

anyone who reads this.

kaixin网上有人要交换真心话,“ 喜欢一个人,又不能说出来,怎么办?”

if you reply with your answer in Chinese, I will do the same after.xie le!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Been out all day yesterday ... did not hear any music, only noise, probably my hearing aid!

Anyway, to save time ... I just want to say that, if changing for the sake of change, or evolving for the sake of evolution, it usually would not work.

If I understand correctly, the official languages of Canada is English and French, and that had been the case for a very long time, but some years ago, Quebac attempted to become an all-French state ... and it failed ...

Even if I welcome the promotion of Simp Chinese, if it is not done for the greater good of the race, nor for the world, it will only have one result ... there are many examples in China and overseas, but maybe that is for another day.

• Sarah Shen
    Sarah Shen wrote:

还好是用英文,要是用繁体中文,还读不下来呢,O(∩_∩)O哈哈~btw你们是在学中文呢,还是练英文呢?

• 关震
    关震 wrote:

就这英文水平,您还是写中文得了。。。。。好歹我们还看得懂。。。。写英文真是不知所云。。。。

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Just read from China Daily today that some scholars spent 8 years to study about changing Chinese characters and finally came up with 44 that need to be changed, and some (if not all) were just merely changing the angle or brush stroke ... I cannot help but think, how much did this great proposal cost the government? The really funny thing is that, they claimed to have a lot of supporters from a survey of one or two thousand, but according to a web survey by Sina.com, of 500k people, more than 90% are against it ...

Why cant they spend the money on something more useful?

• NN
    NN wrote:

叮噹 seems always has lots of comments for most of threads    @_@

• Kuan
    Kuan wrote:

there re things u just can't tell why, the government are paying chinese language researchers to somehow changes the charactors they hv only been using for decades, it's really not a shock for me to c they got just 44 ones to change. u should see those changes they made, lmao! you can't even tell any obvious difference.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... I have not checked out these 44 actually, but according to the newspaper, they have mainly altered the "angle" and "brush stroke" and "walla" here are your 44 new replacement characters ...

I have wondered, if they could spend the money for these 8 years of research on helping the rural people and non-literate people or people under the poverty line, that would be more productive ...

• Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    What good is a language if only the aristocrats and highly educated elites can read and write it? I am not a genius and it probably shows at times, but I think what the government is trying to do is help the poor and rural illiterate through making the common language of China more and more accessible. I like traditional Characters also, but I think I will stick to learning simplified. I can still read many traditional characters but I consider studying them a hobby and not a priority like simplified are. Although studying and learning traditional characters is a noble feat. It seems like a political issue that traditional characters are still around in the first place. If changing the characters makes China less Chinese then all the real Chinese were lost in the past with the changes from ancient Chinese to more modern forms. With the above being said it seems mundane to argue who is Chinese and who is not because of how they write their characters. Change is inevitable and things that were once useful become cumbersome and we move on to better and better things. I hope that is how it works out anyway, but do we really need to argue about changing traditional characters to simplified. How about this. Whoever wants to use traditional characters can use them all they like. Then when the rest of the "Chinese" progress as a culture together there can be pockets of Traditional Chinese readers and scholars who will have a niche because they will be needed in order to study and interpret traditional texts. Hmmmm DingDang are you from Taiwan? I really liked going to Taiwan. It was a really great experience, but it burns my confuses me that they consider themselves the traditional Chinese or the real Chinese. I think that is why Mao had his radical ideas to change China. Mr. Jiang went against what his mentor Sun Zhong Shan had in store for China. He wanted to continue fuedalism because that is the only way he thought he could keep power. So Mr. Mao kicked his ass and transformed China. Through my study of International relations and power dynamics in the world as well as Asian Studies I am convinced that the only reason Taiwan exists today is because of the United States and the others who wish to keep mainland China at bay. However if during Bushes presidency I decided to stir resistance within my country and escape to Hawaii and then mount an defensive there do you think the American government would stand for that even if I had the support of the international community? Perhaps I could refer to me and my people as the real Americans. I am native American after all, so I have in fact descended from the true Americans. The people that left China to go elsewhere and start another country did what they did. They left China. They are the people who wished to protect their riches and brought with them what they believed was their heritage. The Idea that a group can transfer the ownership of heritage from people with whom they share it with to another place and claim exclusiveness is insane. I also do not blame the people who left. The shit was hitting the fan and it was time to run if they wanted to keep their money. People are naturally greedy when it comes to resources, so it is understandable that they wished to hold onto that. However a major part of that group were the learned who had benefited greatly from having a writing system that was largely inaccessible to people who did not have the mass amounts of free time that it took to learn it and become literate. So to say that the real Chinese are the Chinese that went to another place and founded a new country and who were not looking out for the best interests of their people in doing so is kinda crazy. It seems like the real Chinese will do something in order to look out for the best interests of their country folk, like further simplifying a repressively difficult writing system to a point where most of the population can realistically
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    Oh yeah. I can read about 1000 characters. Still not enough!!! :(
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    Hahaha ... interesting to see this thread rising to the surface again ...

Kodi, I was not born in Taiwan nor did I study (grow up) in Taiwan, though I did go there for travel a few times, last time was more than 20 years ago .. would love to go back there for another visit, the food and the museum were both very nice ...

I cannot help but wonder, if "fyi", "btw" will one day become "Simplified English", or perhaps "web English" such as "lol" and "ttyl" ...

My point ... and I apologise for not never making it clear enough because I am not as intelligent as most ... is that I think it is important, as part of the heritage, for future generations to learn that some (maybe not all) of the characters were derived as a symbol of nature, e.g. "龜" and "馬" whereas the Simplified forms: "龟" and "马" dont carry that much story ...
  • Pomatree
    Pomatree wrote:
    wa! 多拉爱盟 你还在这里坚持update呢 咱毛爷爷可好?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

毛爷爷?谁有毛?谁没有毛?我不认识姓"毛"的啊...呵呵...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.