Discussion » Beijing Life » Chinese don't know humour?

• Sheryl Zhong
    Sheryl Zhong wrote:

I'm getting annoyed at people who patronise me because they think I don't understand what they are saying in English or take what they say so seriously.

Chinese understand humour too, I myself have a very dry, sometimes rude and sarcastic sense of humour and I like to take the piss all the time.

Anyone else as annoyed as me? Or it's just me being weird again?!

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Agree completely. Although I can't relate to my humor being misinterpreted as a "ting bu dong" thing, a very select few understand understated, dry and black humor, which always puts me at a disadvantage with "the folk."

"A lot of Chinese don't get it. But do you know what? A lot of western people don't get it either."

For sure.

Beyond that, I've always loved Chinese linguistic humor.

• Tian 王倚天

You can't expect everyone to get humour, there is a language barrier. Like that Woman who thought I was literally a cannibal because I said we should eat vegetarians on her forum.

Aside from that, there are stupid people representing your ethnic background. Can't do anything about it! Personally I don't piss on myself as often, just to see how many genuinely stupid response I receive. (Yes, I am saying that I am smart..or at least not stupid) But this seems to be a tad serious discussion over something which is suppose to be lighthearted. So...

A famous speaker was invited to a gardening club for it's monthly reception. The club president requested that the speaker offer a speech after dinner, the speaker however turned down the request. Overhearing the rejection, a club chair became emotional, and questioned the speaker: Don't you support clubs for Women?"

The Speaker replied: Absolutely! But only if all other means fail."

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I think we could use the word "subtle" to describe the general Chinese sense of humor?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Which Chinese movie(s)?

I first learnt the word "subtle" when I was in university, and my mates told me that this is one major difference between the Chinese (or oriental in general) and the western folks ... anyone care to comment about this?

• Pomatree
    Pomatree wrote:

if it's not the language problem, like sometime I dont understand some words they using when they make jokes. I think most jokes people make are easy to get.

as long as we dont hanging out with super nerd who talks about his computer's funny stories all the time, unless he's the guy in IT crowd.or some super freak who bums his neighbour's dog and showing off his secret everywhere.

as long as you smile most of the time,laugh hard when you drunk, I believe everyone's fine with their own sense of humor.

a website may help. http://www.somethingawful.com/

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

The TV happens to be showing an old movie of Bill Murray, "Larger Than Life" ... most Chinese I know (including my wife) dont appreciate his jokes, but I think he was great in "Stripes", "Groundhog Day" and "Scrooge" ...

On the other hand, most western folks enjoy the "humor" of Jackie Chan, but I think his stuff is getting a bit old.

• Yang Spaß
    Yang Spaß wrote:

i think that is just a different sense of humour

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

As a Chinese from overseas, I can only say what I have heard ... I enjoyed looking at Jackie Chan doing all the moves, but it is getting old ... hope his son and his students can do better in future ...

Oh, but to prove that Chinese has a sense of humor, we should really look at the entertainment industry ... the traditional 相声 is similar to the stand-up comedy of the western culture ... also some of the more recent home-made big hits, e.g. 疯狂的石头,天下第二,非诚勿扰, these are all very funny movies (quite subtle too), but not all westerners can appreciate the humor ...

So, humor is more a culture thing ... there is no rule, no right Vs wrong ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.