Discussion » Beijing Life » Is it really hard to find a job right now?

• Linda
    Linda wrote:

Many people said that it is really hard to find a job right now due to the financial crisis. I am expecting to know the answer. I urgently want to change my job.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

It is a matter of the market demand, the location and your background ... different cities would of course favour different areas of work.

My background is IT, specifically CRM and eCommerce, but I dont know .NET nor Java, and that made me non-marketable in Beijing, but I heard it is ok in Shanghai ...

So, what is your background? You are only 25, so you probably only have one or two years of exp? Do you want to change to another area? Or just want to change company?

• Eason LL
    Eason LL wrote:

i hate to say this ,but just want to know clearly. some people say  that if you want to find a job in China nowadays, it not depends on how good you are or where did you graduate, it depends on whether you have "guanxi" ( connection in english?)  or not. i just want to ask is it the same in beijing or not?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

You are nearly correct about this ... for most corp in China, big or small, locally funded or foreign owned, Beijing or otherwise, having "connection" (or relationship) can still be useful, though not required. With the connection, one can get insider information, who is hiring what, who is the interviewer, how to impress the interviewer etc, however, this does not guarantee that any idiot (for example me) would get into one ...

If your know someone who owns the joint, then you are set ... otherwise, if he/she is only the management, especially with nothing to do with hiring decision, then it wont be much use ...

• Eason LL
    Eason LL wrote:

Do you happen to own any joint? haha

• Jericho Zhang
    Jericho Zhang wrote:

Eason, i think you are half right on this. You need to think in the shoes of your potential employer. That way you can market yourself to their needs.

Now, if im a employer, i run a company, what kind of people do i need to hire to grow? Firstly, i need the people who can get the deals/projects/contracts for me (let's call this type one for now); secondly, i need people who can execute the deals/projects/contracts that was obtained (lets call this type two). These two are the two major functions of any business, all other divisions such as HR, IT support, etc etc are supporting the two forementioned funcitons. In finance, this is the difference between front office and back office, i.e. front office is the profit generating division, and middle office/back office are supporting divisons.

After clarifying the above, you need to consider which category youself fit in. For type one, you will need strong connections, not within the company, but within the company's prospective clients (i think 叮噹 wasnt very clear on this point). For type two, you still need to be good at what you do, in other words, you need to have knowledge/experiences, not just connections.

Ok, so now think about which type you are.

To answer your more generic question regarding the whole economy, again you need to segment the whole market into each categories. China is an exporting country, so anything to do with manufacturing, exporting, logistic, laboring should be affected, also the financial industry as a whole. However, since the government's stimuli package is now mainly active in areas such as infrastructure, you should be fine in those areas.

hope the above helps.

J

• Linda
    Linda wrote:

Thank you all for your advise.

Actually, I've just graduated from University for 2 years. It is not a famous university. My major is English, so I don't have more theory about one specific field relating the two types Jericho mentioned above. Now, I am working as a Admin assist for almost one year. I feel I can't learn anything more from my present job. I don't want to waste my time, because I am young, I naturally have a strong and eager interest to learn new knowledge. I've sent my resume to many companies on line, but no reply.

I feel a little down...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I will be very direct about this ... choosing English as a major in any university in China is really not a very smart move. It is like choosing a degree in Microsoft Office or Lotus Notes (if there is one), these are things you will pick up when you work, or if you dont, that means you dont need it anyway.

What kind of company are you working for? There must be at least one thing you can learn from your present job, but maybe you dont like it, or you dont notice it is there?

As an assistant, you must have done more than answering phone calls, maybe something about the core of the business? You really have not said much here, but to start, you should be more than qualified to become a secretary ... or maybe some sort of manager trainee?

Tell us more and maybe someone can give more advice ...

• Galano
    Galano wrote:

It's bloody hard to find a right one these days

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

What is the "right" one? Or should one do a job that he/she likes, but might not be "right"? It might not be possible to get a job that is "right", but you could get one that you like or enjoy ... or close enough so that you can learn (or grow) to enjoy it ...

I was one of the lucky minority that had been working with what I liked to do ... I like to write software and provide support, and I have been doing it for 15 years. However, over those years, a lot of people suggested that I would do well in sales, but I was too lazy to change. Now that I am in sales, it just seems to be missing something ... so, what is the "right" job for me?

I believe that "right" is a very subjective thing ... you might think that certain job is the "right" career choice for you, but after a few years, or even longer, you might then realise you want to do something else ...

• Frieda
    Frieda wrote:

WOW~ u both are great...first "guan xi/ren mai"in english is connection~~not relationship~~LOL~i am a sophomore in uni,i always find some part time job in my summer~winter  vacation and the most of time i can have a call form HR,so~~i think the opportunity of job decide to u...oh~yup...if u can through"ren mai"to find a better job is more better~our teacher told us that:"ask ur parents who can help u to find a better job~and maybe ur parents can help school to advance the known in ur country ~~~".....(@_@) 

PS: A SHIT TEACHER!!!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... I was just about to ask, what kind of business is the Doom's squad.

• Frieda
    Frieda wrote:

Ohahahah~thank u Dr.Doom,thank u to correct my english~and just this is my english teacher teachus and as a point to teach us~maybe he is wrong...

• Susan Zhang
    Susan Zhang wrote:

It is not easy......

I'm looking for a job, making my head ache terribly!

Any one can help me out?  My God!

• 杜鲁西
    杜鲁西 wrote:

To find a job is easy,but looking for a low workload, high-income  job ,and the kind of  the job you  looking for is your interist   is difficult,I think.

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

I'm trying to find a new job right now myself, actually. Something in the marketing , sales, advertising, or PR field, hopefully. I don't have too much experience, but I'm pretty good with people, speak excellent Chinese, and learn pretty quickly. From the U.S. Degree: Business Management

(Any headhunters out there get a hold of me! :) )

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • 贾楠
    贾楠 wrote:

I think it depends, coz china is so large and situation varies among regions. In Beijing, the importance of Guanxi might be more important than in shanghai or guangdong. For ppl just getting out of school, guanxi is more vital in finding a good job,  however, after u work for years, u might build up u own Guanxi network.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.