Discussion » Beijing Life » Do anyone things color matters?

  • Ou Shu Le
    Ou Shu Le wrote:

    I've being thinking about this for a very long time.Why do people think we're different.The Chinese people believe they're yellow,Africans-Black and we have white.But are we different people???...Does Color or where we come from determine  who we are ???

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    It depends on the context ... as far as the bible is concerned, we are all the same to God, and in fact, we were once the same race, speaking the same language, but when our ancestors tried to build that tower thing (sorry, not a very keen student in religious study), we were all made into different races, speaking different lingo ...

    To asnwer your question, I am afraid it will be a very definite and ugly "yes".

    I just had a discussion with someone about insurance from overseas this morning, and the topic of foreigners in China were also brought up. Somehow a lot of Chinese had generalised that foreigners always earn big money, hence (or otherwise) has lots of $$$. If you go to those markets that you can bargain, for example Xiu Shui in Beijing, you will notice that the same item (clothes, shoes, bags etc) would be offered at different prices to foreigners.

    I was reading about this little Chinese girl in Chong Qing. She was born in USA to Chinese parents, but were given up for adoption by American parents (I cannot remember the reason). After a few years, the natural parents came back to China and then fought to get her back, and they won... and then somewhere along the line, they had a divorce. Now she is living with her natural mother with two other siblings, living among Chinese. In conclusion, she is a Chinese by DNA, but a foreigner by nature.

    So, the ugly fact is ... people are judged on the outside (because that is often obvious), and then judged on the inside ... there is a generalisaton or stereotype! Although this is different for different parts of the world ... as an example, for a period in time, Taiwan Chinese and HK Chinese were buying properties like hotcakes in certain suburb in Sydney, and for quite a long while, Chinese were stereotyped to be loaded with cash by a lot of local Australians.

    So... to repeat myself ... the answer to your question is "yes".

  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

    I'll just leave this here:

    I Took My Baby
    On A Saturday Bang
    Boy Is That Girl With You
    Yes We're One And The Same

    Now I Believe In Miracles
    And A Miracle
    Has Happened Tonight

    Hee

    But, If
    You're Thinkin'
    About My Baby
    It Don't Matter If You're
    Black Or White

    Michael Jackson, "Black or White"

    Aaow (crotch grab)

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    As much as I agree with Sheryl, the modern society still lags behind, and that is not just in China ...

    For example, the stereotype of white-shirt+black-pants signifies either a real estate agent or an insurance agent in China ... if neither, then he has to be a waiter in a restaurant.

    We can definitely generalise the concept of stereotype by race (or ethnicity) onto clothes, cars etc ... and this is the sad reality ...

     

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    I cannot understand his fascination of trying to be a white person ... his psyche interests me more than his music

  • Martin Webster

    Dr Slump, how about just enjoying the music? Or some music?!!!

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    I would not deny that I am a MJ fan, in fact, I am listening to that now ... but it still intrigues me why does he want to look like a different race or ethnicity?

    Anyway, leaving MJ alone ... I was chatting with a girl last night, and the topic of race and ethnicity was brought up. She told me that she had been harassed by a few guys (supposedly) from overseas, and they were doing more or less the same thing: trying to get intimite with her, and hopefully developing some form of romance, she even perceived that these guys just want to conquer as many girls as possible when they are in town ...

    The discussion then moved onto why some Chinese girls are fascinated about meeting foreigners, and we did not consider learning a foreign language to be the reason ... 

    So, sticking to the topic of this thread ... yes, for a lot of people, race and ethnicity and color are very important to them ..

     

  • Richie
    Richie wrote:

    Color, race, ethinicity --- everything matters. The only difference between each individual would be whether it's coming from the conscious mind or from the subconscious.

    A question:

    You (reader) attend an event - and when you enter the hall, there are three groups of people - Asian, African and Caucasian. Assuming that you do not know anyone at the event - which group would you first go and greet/talk/introduce yourself? And also presume that this event is in Mars - has nothing to do with the location nor with the event organizer.

  • Stanley
    Stanley wrote:

    Good question, Richie! I would first go to the Asian group, to which I ethnically belong. This partly explains the existance of stereotypes. For most people, they are inclined to be closer to those with the same race, as a race is usually characterized as sharing the same or similar values, customs, social ideology and cultural background. This makes communication easier, with less barriers in mutual understanding. Even for those who are not racists and those who fight against racial discrimination, it's easier to feel closer to those of the same race.

  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

    Yep, I'll go to the Asian group, esp. north-easten Asia.

    Admit or not, people tend to search similarity for the first time, and then maybe try to amuse themselves with some unique things. What really matters is not color, race, or ethics, they are all external attributes. People are finding similar culture actually.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Peter, sorry about the late rely ... went to see Transformers 2 yesterday ... bad acting, still great fun though. To answer your question, no, it probably does not matter, but I like to profile people, and that is just an interest.

    I agree with Richie and DF, but DF had brought up another point, and there is a lower level to consider, i.e. the method of communication. If the Asian group speaks (for example) Korean, and the Caucasian speaks French, while the African speaks English ... I am more likely to move closer to the African.

     

  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

    Gotta use Paste as Plain Text function.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Peter

    "Profiling" had actually been a side hobby of mine for over 20 years, and I do that to anyone that intrigues me, on the street, in the supermarket etc. I had meant no disrespect to late MJ, nor I meant to upset anyone ... if this had upset you, I am sorry.

    Since the man had gone now, any profiling is no longer possible, so I will need to choose someone else ...

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Let me see if I am correct ...

    The simple explanation is that because the Java editor allows rich text, so it does not filter out HTML tags ... I noticed that when I copied text from other web pages, and the color, the font and the bold size came with it ... hence the HTML tags have to be there, hidden though!

    And when someone copied text from a HTML page, but without knowing where the (hidden) tags begin and end, it ruins the display

    My two maos

  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

    Yeah, it's one of those things on the to-do list. Use PAPT for now and you shouldn't have any problems. We'll work on fixing it this week.

  • Ou Shu Le
    Ou Shu Le wrote:

    I respect you beter.you give answers to my question.Thanks man

  • Ou Shu Le
    Ou Shu Le wrote:

    Well, Alex...i have a question for you.Do all these who claim they believe in JESUS go to heaven? and what does this got to do with my Question in the 1st place?

  • Ou Shu Le
    Ou Shu Le wrote:

    And also i can say Jesus is a black man,far from the man in that picture in your church....Prove me  wrong on this and i'll give you reasonsssssss..

  • Joakim Lund Rangel

    Stanley wrote:
    "Good question, Richie! I would first go to the Asian group, to which I ethnically belong. This partly explains the existance of stereotypes. For most people, they are inclined to be closer to those with the same race."

    Are you sure it would be the fact that they look like you that is deciding your choice?

    Now imagine if you as a asian/chinese/beijing boy was born and raised in a western/
    Caucasoid country.

    What group would you choose?

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Any more of this, someone will be writing a thesis about race and ethnicity ... but why not?

    As a native Chinese who had lived overseas for 20+, my profiling on the majority of Chinese is that we are not the most welcoming bunch in the world. For example, when some of the local talk about their dislikes for Shanghai, and then I revealed that I am a Shanghai descendent, they would say "you are not the typical Shanghai" or something like that.

    So to support some of the points above, the color of our skin being the first thing most people see, they make assumptions. And then, when they know more about you, they will "categorise" ... and in reverse, you would do that same.

    Generalisation and stereotyping is not ethically wrong, in fact, it does help when people needs to make certain choices (for example, which group of the three should I join) ... the point is not to let this become permanent, and knowing that there are westerners who want to have a Chinese life style (soya milk anyone?), and then there are Chinese who prefer the western life style (coffee and toasts) ... gee, how do I always manage to bring food into any discussion?

     

     

  • Ou Shu Le
    Ou Shu Le wrote:

    I will be waiting for you answers Alex.

  • Tian 王倚天

    Colour matters when you're trying to blame a black guy for a crime you've commited to the police.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Other than race and nationality, the religious thing is perhaps the most used excuses to start war, try not to over-do it ... me, a Roman Catholic ...

    Color also matters if you want to do better business in Xiu-Shui or Ya-Xiu ...

    I had an incident once at Xi-Zhi-Men subway station ... it was about 5:30pm, and the place was packed! As always, a lot of people tried to push and push in order to get onto the train, and one in particular pushed me rather hard, so I pushed back. Next thing I remembered, he pulled the strap of my bag and I was "flying" across the air and landed on the ground. My head hit the pole, and I started mumbling in English ...

    They had no idea whom I was, and the polices started appearing, and the person involved was detained ... making a long story short, the Chinese is still generally "afraid" of any issues with the foreigners and that, in a way, is quite sad ...

     

  • Amay
    Amay wrote:

    从某种意义上来讲,我们都是一样的,那就是“我们都是人”。 无论怎么样,就算不同民族不同国度,我们还可以通过某种方式进行沟通,达到共识,而且彼此都有共同点。如果两个不同肤色人,彼此能了解容纳对方的一切,比如文化,习俗,信仰等,那么等于说这两个人是平等的了。相反,例如,就像交朋友,如果趣味不相投,就难做朋友,因为性格有区别,距离也就产生了,也就走不到"一国"了。所以可以说,这两个人之间没有什么不一样。如果硬说有什么不一样的,那就是不同肤色之间所受到的文化背景的影响而不一样,从而使其价值观和行为规范也不一样,素质修养也就不一样了。不同皮肤可以说代表着不同的气质,它是一种区别于人的标志。

  • KA
    KA wrote:

    I believe, what makes people feel different from one another is not a skin color. Its more of a cultural difference.

    By the way, we cannot compare socks with a human! and I do not agree with "Many Americans, for example, can only see one thing when they look at Barack Obama. The color of his skin" Is not it sounds like a some prior assumption without preponderance of the facts? Be careful, these kind of prior assumptions could be a mother of stereotypes and prejudices which goes to basics of the topic!

  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

    Well I do not feel that color matters.  There are more similarities between humans than  meets the eye.  Get a load of this:  there is more genetic diversity in Africa than on any other continent and you and I have more genetically in common with a bushman from Africa than we do with each other!  Did anyone else see the human family tree on national geographic?  I knew all that stuff earlier in life, but it was good to see someone explain in in an organized manner.  The program is about the out of Africa theory and the actual time lines and paterns of all the human migrations.  The color problem is something that I think is an evolutionary mechanism for survival.  It serves a purpose for us to be curious of that which appears different, although we as a species should be growing out of that phase of evolution by now because of the advances of society and the growth of the world population.  All I know is that I will have a mixed blood family and I will love them.  The sooner we all mix the sooner we end racism.  Then we will only have to deal with class differences and hopefully by that time we will have already found a solution to sexism.  Humans are humans and I am happy to be one.

  • Winnie
    Winnie wrote:
    red is my fav color...too bad no race is red all other colors is the same to me:) (ps: i will have to say i like chocolate color skin the most..see Beyonce)
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    Hahaha ... how can you say that no skin color is red? Have you not heard of red Indians?
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

    Im red, but only when I try to get a tan :P  My family is American indian, so we get reddish brown in the sun.  Color does'nt matter although mixed blood does strengthen your immune system and makes for some really beautiful babies!

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    Still inline with the topic ... but in different context ... I prefer yellow and red curry ... green is too hot and white usually has too much coconut milk
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Back in Sydney, and already experienced some difference ... on the way from Shanghai to Sydney, everyone was handed the custom card, the guy next to me was given the English one, and I was (automatically) handed the Chinese one ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc