Discussion » Nonsense » Good English fiction?

• Sheryl Zhong
    Sheryl Zhong wrote:

OK I'm reading some pretty depressing books recently.

Anyone can recommend any good books (preferrably recent work rather than old classics) that's easy going?

I don't mean mind numbing romantic novels, just something different, witty and can cheer me up a bit

Thanks!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I used to follow the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series ... plenty of dry American humor, some vampires, were-animals, vodoo magic ...

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Nick Hornby and David Sedaris are always good for a laugh. Kurt Vonnegut, although not contemporary so-to-speak, is wonderfully-cheerful, too.

Murakami, to me, is empowering (read "Norwegian Wood" for starters). Hunter S. Thompson was probably the wittiest commentator and sharpest social critic on contemporary American society. Read him.

And for sheer escape into easy going fantasy land, nothing beats Harry Potter :)

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Sheryl
    Nice. We've always toyed with the idea of a lending library. I recently dropped off 20-or-so English language books at Churros Cafe, which is the unofficial WLIB team hangout. Awesome place.

If anyone is interested in organizing a reading/literature discussion group, I'm definitely in. We'll eat churros and talk shop:)

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

No problem. We can have an informal chat group at Churros, which will soon decend into whiskey slamming for the grumpies and Long Island and Mojito sipping for the more balanced ;)

But seriously, I know more than a few people who could assemble quickly in the second week of July to do that. Send me a PM if you're interested :)

I'll bring the Hunter S. books... as well as other Murakami.

I haven't touched Foucault since senior year, but I'd be willing to dust him off for a chat.

• Tian 王倚天

Twilight, I like to think it's a romantic comedy.

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

Elmore Leonard. He is the author of "Get Shorty" and "Rum Punch" -the basis for Jackie Brown. One of the greatest dialogue writers out there, but his stuff is still pretty light and easy to digest. Obviously a major influence on Quentin Tarantino.

• Eric Zhaowei Zhang

9 Highland, it's not a recent book but not classic either. I read this book for my psychology class because it's the story about people live in group house who have mental illness. It's not depressing but not comedic. It makes you think and changes my perspective about mentally illed people

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.