Discussion » Health & Fitness » would you like to be a vegetarain?

• OoööOOoööo00OOööoo
    OoööOOoööo00OOööoo wrote:

hello everyone,i m doing some research about how many ppl are interested in being vegetarians.

i have a few questions here:
    1.is eating vegetables the only way to eat healthily?

2.are you concerned about animal rights?

3.do you care about pollution?

4.would you go to a vegetarian restaurant only for convenience?

5.would you go to a vegetarain restaurant on purpose?

6.how often per month would you prefer to eat a vegetarian meal?How about every meal?

7.how often do you try vegetarain food?

if you don't mind, please leave your comments here:) i'd really appreciate it..

• 柯威
    柯威 wrote:

1.  i think a balanced diet is the way to eat healthily. our bodies were made to eat both meat, fruit, and veggies, so i think the healthiest way to eat is to eat all of them in moderation

2. i am concerned about animals rights to the extent of living conditions before being killed for consumption.

3. i care about pollution.  environmental degradation is one of the reasons we should eat meat, especially animals that graze on grasses that hold soil in place

4. not really.  i like to  eat a little bit of everything.  

5. yes.

6. it doesnt really matter.  if a vegetarian restaurant has the best dish i have ever eaten, chances are i will go there alot.  i will not be a vegetarian. i have done it before, i wont do it again.

7. i.... like.... vegetables

champion of the universe

• Tian 王倚天

Actually, our stomaches are almost identical to that of a cow, and not designed to digest meat. Which is why a percentage of meat we ate from months back sit within our stomache aging, waiting their turn to be processed in a very slow, and un-natural process..thus why our farts stink.

I don't see how pollution fits in all of this, but if you ask me, vegans are the worst of all polluting consumer. They are killing off all the plants!

Personally, I don't trust people whose farts don't stink.

• 柯威
    柯威 wrote:
    our stomachs are more like a pigs than a cow. and you can look at our teeth to see that we were made to eat everything. bacteria causes shit to stink. try taking an anti-biotic and see if it smells less than before. also, some bacterial-cultures found in yogurt help this as well
  • OoööOOoööo00OOööoo

meat in our stomach can last much longer than vegetables..that s why we dont easily get hungry if we eat meat,but its also unhealthy..when the meat stays in your stomach too long it will make something bad for your healthy.

• Leon
    Leon wrote:

no meat, no life. in another word, meat is bigger than life for me.

• Frieda
    Frieda wrote:

1:no,not only way to eat healthily...

2:sure enough...i like animals....

3:yes...do u know,eat more animals will increase more co2...

4,maybe...but the vegetarian restaurant in BJ nearly .....

5:i like it...

6:im a vegetarian...so...every meal...

7:everyday & every meal

• OoööOOoööo00OOööoo

why are you a veggie Frieda?

• Ge Cuason
    Ge Cuason wrote:

no

yes. kill a cow straight on, no need for prolonged agony

yes.

not really

why not

6.how often per month would you prefer to eat a vegetarian meal?How about every meal?

maybe every other day is ok. every meal's fine too, as long as the food doesn't taste crappy

maybe once a week

• Joakim Lund Rangel

"

yes. kill a cow straight on, no need for prolonged agony"

---------------------

If you do that, the cow gets so stressed out that you can`t eat the meat :)

• Ge Cuason
    Ge Cuason wrote:

I remember watching a tv documentary that kills cows by inserting a hose inside their bellies through their mouths and force-feeding them with water until they eventually drown, plus it makes the meat heavier when selling in the market.

And another one how they use shotgun to kill a cow. Then they started using an axe to just hit the cow right in the midle of the eyes, instant death!

• OoööOOoööo00OOööoo

hey Alex,i agree with you about the

"to grow these masses of cow-, pig-food, etc., a lot of energy, water and so on is needed. If we didn't feed animals who are forced to a life in suffer and pain, we could maybe feed starving kids in third world countries"

but the point is how many ppl know the truth,and how many ppl want to do the change.depends on what they care about.

i think most ppl dont know much about the benefit to be vegetarains.

• Frieda
    Frieda wrote:

telling the truth...at beginning i wanna lost weight ues this way and i lost 80p about 1 year,so...from now,when i eat meat i think has a strange smell...and other reason is eg:reduce co2...protect animals...LOL...

• OoööOOoööo00OOööoo

yeah,be a veggie can help you to lose some weight if you eat rightly.but not that helpful if you still eat too much fry stuff..like chips.

there are many reasons to be a veggie.but i think animals really shouldn't be treated like that.

• Tian 王倚天

We can have this controversial discussion for ages, but somebody has had it longer than us.

I'll end it y saying balance is good, vegetables and meat are both good for fat loss, our anatomy is closer to that of a pig, but a stomaches are more of that than a cow...and I hate vegetarians =D

• Tian 王倚天

P.S. we should eat vegetarians

• OoööOOoööo00OOööoo

whats wrong with you fool?maybe you should just eat your mom first

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

For me it simply boils down to the fact that animals taste good.

• Tian 王倚天

Boils down......hahahahahah brilliant

• OoööOOoööo00OOööoo

thanks peter,but that s not the point i started this discussion.i m tired to see these points argued too..不要争论了!just let me know will you go if i open a vegetarain restaurant?

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

I would have added my insights to this thread earlier, but Walters, as always, completely steamrolled all possible dissent with his irrefutable logic ("What can you do that's related to vegetarianism, but is something new and unique?")

Way to go.

I'll add this:

Bacon tastes good; pork chops taste good.

• OoööOOoööo00OOööoo

Thanks again Peter.I’ll give you 20% off:)

there is something I still wanna figure it out,
    like how often would you feel like a vegetarian meal?
    And I think,for some reason,ppl are changing their mind now.
    Maybe more and more ppl want to go veggie?
    That might be a trend.
    But I don’t know most ppl’s thought.thats why I m WONDERING,not just want to start an argument.(懂我的意思吗?)

thanks for the few more thoughts from you:)

1)the market for vegetarian-only restaurant might be pretty small.
    That,might be pretty true.
    yes,vegetarians are much less than ppl who eat meat,BUT,vegetarian-only restaurant are much fewer than normal restaurant.
    There are about 80 veggie restaurants in Beijing.about 300 in china.
    so I m thinking it might be a good chance.

2)(see number 1 above)
    Yeah,I need to do a research about if their business is doing good or not as well.
    Thanks for reminding.

3)most vegetarians don’t want to go a normal restaurant who cooks meat.
    Cos they don’t want to give money to those ppl who killed animals etc.etc.
    I understand what you mean about “other options available to them”
    Yes,that’s why I want to know who CARES,how many ppl CARES?
    if they care,they would just choose the thing they really want,but not to think about other options.is that right?

4),5) these 2 parts are so realistic.very good advices:)
    I ll think about it.:)(but vegetarianism is already very unique,at least in china..)
    anyhow,it s very good to get those comments from you Peter.
    Let s forget about the restaurant now,back to the topic.

• OoööOOoööo00OOööoo

why should Tian eat his mom???the same reason as why he eats vegetarians.

• Joakim Lund Rangel

I wont go veggie, but I wouldnt mind eating vegitarian food for periods just to be a little more healthier. But then its necassery that I don`t need to do any extra effort to get vegetarian food. - I just want to get my stomach filled with something as quick and easy as possible (and then get back to work).

I eat delivery food about every day, and if there was a healthy vegetarian alternative in Wudaokou I would for sure order at least 80% of the times from this restaurant.

• Alex
    Alex wrote:

I would not consider to be a vegetarian since you can not get adequate amount of nutrients just out of vegetables and fruists; however, I would consider to have organic diets or eat according to CFG, DRI & DRA.

To avoid or lower the potential risk of consuming contaminated foods, organic foods can be your primary choice.

It doesnt matter if you only eat vegetables or fruits, to reach optimal health you need to be aware of your intakes of each nutrient according to age and sex. Either excess or deficency would threat your health, chronic diseases.

P.S not to be rude but your survey questions seem to have little bit problems :) 

• 柯威
    柯威 wrote:

actually a baby just died recently in america because its mother was vegan while pregnant and after birth continued to raise the child as vegan.  they might be facing criminal charges now. "Feel free to eat meat but don't scare or judge people who want to make a positive change against a vegetarian lifestyle."~~ in your post you have just called those who eat meat ignorant (who else believes fairy tales), exploiters, and selfish and greedy. what kind of pompous ass calls meat a luxury? maybe certain meats are more exotic or valuable than the other, but a luxury?  i dont think so. there are many peoples in this world that rely on meat as a protein source, and that has to do with necessity rather than luxury.  but i guess its easy to view it as a luxury when we have enjoyed our western lifestyles for so long. you're way out of touch.  i agree that people shouldnt be scared of judged for being vegetarian or vegan, but i do take issue with your hypocrisy.  i think many poorer people in the world would consider your willingness and ability to spend more money on more expensive organic and natural food to be a luxury or the extra money spent on vitamin supplements.

good idea though faye, i'll definitely come if you open the place.

• Tian 王倚天

Yo Peter if I'm ever in Beijing I'm buying you a beer.

I really did not want to say this, but Faye Faye, I don't comment on the forums written in Chinese because my Chinese literacy skills are not polished, maybe you want to keep that in mind the next time you post something in English. If you really think I'm some kind of cannibal, then hey it's all good..I look forward to devouring you.

and Alex, it's all good that you're a vegetarian, but don't get on anyone else's case about it. It's like saying you do not feel like a moral person until you impose your morals upon someone else. That's what the Americans are doing to the Iraqis...don't be an imperial swine. And if you still think that eatting meat is only an act of arrogance, go to the zoo and try to convince Mufasa that. No offence.

I wish I had the power Pete Demola had when he said "This thread is closed!" That's gangster.

This thread is closed, for this asshole anyway.

• Tara Misu
    Tara Misu wrote:

1. It's not the only way, but it's a guaranteed way to eat healthy...that is, unless, you like your vegetables sopping in oil or fry batter...

2. Of course. But there's always more I can do to contribute to animal rights besides not eating meat.

3. Yes. Ride a bike, for starters.

4. I'd go more than just for convenience. Vegetarian food is delicious.

5. I'd go out of my way for one!

6. I would prefer every meal vegetarian. If I miss the flavor of meat, I'll eat fake meat...which  I personally enjoy more.

7. Vegetarian food is the norm for me. Tofu, eggplant, and mushrooms are great alternatives to flesh.

• OoööOOoööo00OOööoo

i love tofu and mushrooms~~~~~~

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

Btw, if you plan to make investment, and the purpose of your survey is for you plan, maybe you could add another question like "In your opinion, what's ppl's purpose to eat at a vegetarian restaurant?" This question is far different from "why ppl become vegetarian" or "why ppl decide to eat more and more less meat".

My observation is: 1) nearly all restaurants serve meat-free dishes; 2) none of my friends who call themselves "vegetarian"ever refuse to eat meat-free dishes in a normal restaurant. So if I were you, I'll focus on thinking how to lure those ppl with "vegetable preference" from normal restaurants, and how to ad. to attract meat eaters to have a try in your place. In view of that, My opinion is just to focus on the universal thing: health, and forget those controversial ones, like "environmental protection" or "animal rights". Believe me, ppl got tons of reasonable saying to prove most of vegetarians who claims their choice is base on concerns of "environmental protection"or "animal rights"fundamentally fake or lack of ability of thinking. Your goal is make profit right? so it's a portion of your customers' role to indulge in their own smugness, without your help.

• OoööOOoööo00OOööoo

thank you Da Fan,thank you for your advice and the "observations":) it is very much appreciated .very good advice.

thanks Zhaohong too.a special view of waiters/waitresses!
    hehe thanks very much.yes chinese ppl like to conduct business deals in restaurants.but i dont think they would interested in vegetarian style..actually i think most chinese ppl wont interested,but that s why i m wondering if whether or not there are more and more ppl start getting interested.that s very important thing right?and all that you said about the surroundings of the restaurants sound very nice..thanks again:)

Peter what i mean by "I want to know who CARES, how many ppl CARES?"is how many ppl care about the topics of "healthy diets" "animal rights" "pollution“etc.etc.you cant say everybody cares,but for those ppl who do care there is just as many that do not.cos i think ppl who cares will want to know how these issues relate to "vegetarianism".then those  ppl who were not vegetarian probably would try 1 or 2 days veggie food per week.or 10 days per month.i m wondering if that s a trend.

wudaokou would be a good place Joe,but do delivery for you might be dangerous!haha.;)

• O
    O'sole Mio wrote:

i really concerned  about  animal rights! but i can't bear do not eatting meat.so i can't be one of  vegetrains!

• 柯威
    柯威 wrote:
    you're not a bad ass. you're a pious, pretentious, prick. your miserable attempt at sarcasm still doesn't connect meat being a luxury. before you spew more shit out of your mouth, you might want to actually look at the actual definition of what a luxury good is and compare that with your perverted logic. take the time to find out what in inferior good is as well, and then maybe (and this is a long shot) after using that incredible, highly evolved brain of yours, along with your unmatched wit, and obvious moral superiority, you'll be able to enlighten us further. vegetarianism is largely a first world luxury, not being an omnivore (we're not carnivores you jackass). many peoples lack the means to do anything but eat what is available, and this means eating meat at times. so please, continue to condescend to a vast majority of the world population who wish they had the resources that you were born into
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

seems that my survey answers have caused this page abnormally displayed...here the answer again. Sorry for that~

No. I think a balanced diet will be better. Ppl may got the impression that vegetarians are more healthy is probably due to: 1) vegetarians care abt their health much more than others, and that's why they became vegetarians. 2) today's average non-vegetarian just consumes too much MEAT or anything contains OIL and CHOLESTERIN.

Err…I do not consider our stomachs identical to that of a cow…just check out a cow's dissect structure for reason. Besides, the ability to secret gall of human's gallbladder is considered greater than those herbivores, together with the fact that chimps, gorillas and early homosapiens are all omnivores, indicating that it not so likely that humans are born to be herbivore.

A qualified "yes", depending on the definitions of "animal" and "rights".

I confess that I have a significant unintentional bias on concerning about "animal rights". I only concern about whether a portion of animals, mainly those "lovely", "loyal" or "useful" mammals or aves, are unnecessarily killed or tortured death, meanwhile, ignore other rights of animals (one of my friend once asked me: from the aspect of arbitrarily deciding animals" fate, is there any difference between "I decide to kill this pig for meat" and "I decide to keep this dog as pet"? worth of thinking)

Sure. I tried to find out, but still don't know the detailed composition of sources of current world's pollutant emission. Compared to general industrial activities, is livestock breeding industry a very significant pollution source?

Err…for convenience? I think…commonly it must be much more inconvenience to locate a vegetarian restaurant in Beijing…

Maybe, but not so likely

<span style="font-size: x

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

SHIT happend again...

btw, I've really learnt a lot of English from Cannon's latest post, hahaha

• OoööOOoööo00OOööoo

yeah,what a nice one

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

1. there are many unhealthy ways how to prepare food, veggie or not.

2. yes, but that has nothing to do with my meal (why dont plants have the same rights? Killing is killing no matter if you slaughter a pig or chop down a tree)

3. yes, a lot (but it is in the nature of mankind that we in the end collectively dont care)

4. convenience? it is actually quite inconvenient to go for a veggie place cause there are only few choices in BJ

5. for me it is of course more convenient to dine at a veggie place

6. every meal

7. no need to try, but it is quite anoying to keep explaining why

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

What happened to this thread? It seems the graphics and layout is all messed up?

Vegetarian huh? It is food, so maybe I could say something? We did try to have a vegetarian home meal every Friday night, but having a small fridge makes it a little bit difficult.

Ans: no

Ans: Yes or no, I am unlikely to become a straight vegetarian

Ans: yes

Ans: yes and no ... we dont drive, so the location of the restaurant is important to us

Ans: yes ... there is one nearby and we go there once every month or so?

Ans: once, at most ... they are usually expensive

Ans: you mean bean curd? or things like vegetarian chicken or something like that? somethimes, I guess

When quickly glimpsing through, someone mentioned that the business for a vegetarian restaurant in China (or Beijing) might not be very good? I beg to differ ... I have met a few girls (none of them from this site) who are straight vegetarian, some of them are because of health, some of them because of religion ...

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

how many vegetarian restaurants are there in BJ? maybe less then 50 in the inner City, compare to thousands of non-veggie places at every corner, it is a very poor percentage. How many veggie ppl are there in BJ? a lot of my friends are but a again, i guess the percentages compare to the total population is also very very low.

anyway, i dont understand what animal rights has anything to do with that? If one is really concern about not to use animals as serving slaves of mankind, there are far more products to be refused for daily usage than watching what you eat, say farma industry, cosmetics, clothing, pets ... funny that ppl see dogs for exsample as their companion but would you chain and leash your friend and force him or her to learn when and where to shit and pee? Well yes, maybe i would if someone has lost his or her mind or when i am going to rais my kid one day. But that would be a totally different thing, isnt it? Maybe not.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.