Discussion » Nonsense » We're Not All Nice..in fact, Most of us Suck

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

I just want to give a word of warning to some of our Chinese users. Not all foreigners are nice people. You should be really, really careful who you engage with here. There are a lot of creeps out there.

The fact is a lot of these people come here because they are such degenerit, pathetic losers they can't function in their own country. Others come here thinking the mere fact that they're foreign will make them Gods gift to women. And others are typical representatives of their home country-which usually isn't a good thing.

I can't count how many times someone who knows nothing about me has told me I'm "Very good-ah" simply because I'm a foreigner in China. For all they know I could've spent the last 6 years selling crack to primary school kids.

Look...I''m just saying play safe out there kids. There's a lot of scumbags out there.

• Rebecca Dreiling

Look, I'm going to assume you're not Chinese because of your excellent writing, spelling and grammar skills. The point is that I've seen this a lot. A foreigner trying to play a verbal/manner Robin Hood for the good, "innocent" Chinese folk. And I'm here to say that the entire world has it's share of idiots, jerks and inconsiderate unconscious meanies - This goes for every continent, country, province, city and corner (including China). Google it. Foreigners have a bad wrap (especially to Chinese) almost exclusively because of cultural differences. And it doesn't help that other foreigners are bashing on their own kind. It's like verbal cannabolism. It's usually best to not generalize people. So stick to what you do best....and remember, no matter how much of a hero you want to be on the forums, you'll never be Chinese. ;)

• Tian 王倚天

Rebecca: So what you are suggesting is that Chinese people possess poor spelling, and grammar skills?

Rather damaging to your mutural platform wouldn't you agree?

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

That's cannibalism Rebecca. And the kind of people I'm talking about are not "my kind". They are the socially maladjusted deviants who are here simply because nowhere else will have them.

I appreciate it may come off as very condescending and most people know this already. But...some people don't. This was intended for them. I've been here 4 years and I've met my fair share of both dysfunctional foreigners and Chinese people who find it "cool" to have a foreign friend, regardless of what kind of person they are.

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

OK..the qualifier "most" is unfair, I admit. But I think "a lot" is pretty reasonable.

Let me explain why I posted this, and perhaps clear up any misunderstanding.

It's pretty easy to find people on this site who have 500 plus friends. These types can fall into several categories, but the two biggest  groups are as follows. 1-Foreign guys who add as many girls as they can in the hopes of "getting lucky." 2-Chinese people who for whatever reason are bent on collecting as many foreign friends as they can. This is a recipie for disaster.

Also, I have a number of friends who have been sexually harassed and/or stalked by foreigners, including one of my students.

It's not just the deviant sexual behaviour either. A few nights ago a bunch of foreigners got in a drunken brawl (after hitting on a girl I was sitting with) at an outdoor BBQ stand I was at. The cause of the fight? They wanted to know who would win a fight beween Party A and Party B.

I appreciate this  behaviour is not exclusive to foreigners, but that is beside the point. Am I guilty of generalizing? Probably. Was I too harsh? Maybe. But when I see people here collectiong foreign friends as though it is somehow "cool" to have foreign friends, I really feel like someone ought to warn them.

And I was drunk. :-)

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Walters
    That was an absolutely devastating (and well-written) takedown. Remind me again why you didn't you go to law school.

Baird
    SNS sites + booze + good intentions = :(

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

Peter, you are bang on that it is a personal pet peeve.   That "most of us suck" was a misguided attempt a humor-the actual point was that some people out there need to be more careful when making friends with foreigners.

Pete, I am installing a brethalyzer on my computer as I speak.

• Ramz
    Ramz wrote:

Isn't this website specifically made to meet people?  Going on a tirade about about how foreigners are scum for being heartless womanizers on a site that's basically made to meet woman (or men in some cases) is sort of strange, no?

• Sylvia Siyuan Shen

wow couldnt agree more! ive met ppl like this in beijing.. and i feel bad for some innocent chinese girls too..

• Tian 王倚天

Peter: I know what she meant, I just didn't like the flawed way of her wording. You can say I was exercising my right to be an asshole.

• Anthony
    Anthony wrote:

Alex

I am sorry but shouting "fuwuyuan" is not bad manners. It's a social norm!

You cant do it with a smile!

• Anthony
    Anthony wrote:

correction

You can and should say it  with a smile!

• Rebecca Dreiling

No I was not implying that ALL Chinese people have poor spelling, grammar and sentence structure. Just most of them. At least when it comes to English, when it's not their native language. The same way they would know on a forum in  all Chinese characters if a lowai was writing. ;) Get my point?

I appreciate your self-depricating humour, no doubt, but like I said, I've seen this all too many times. The foreigner (usually the socially outcasted one, specifically in his or her (mostly his) own country) relentlessly "sticking up" for the Chinese folk, cursing the actions of his fellow mates to attempt to look more refined and self-aware than the rest - a kind of one-upmanship, if you will....but to me, that's like ONE dirty pig cleaning himself and trying to stand out in a crowd of other dirty pigs. You may be "clean" (or at least percieve yourself to be that way), but you're still a pig nonetheless - but the real point is that every single person is proverbially one of those pigs - Chinese and American alike. And since you will always be an outsider to the Chinese no matter how long you live in china, how much of the language you learn, you may not want to preemptively burn your bridges with your own kind just yet.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

• Tian 王倚天

Rebecca, you had me at No....LOL

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

I gotcha Rebecca, but the fact that I will never be Chinese is pretty obvious. Kissing ass with the locals wasn't my intent. The fact is I work with about 400 young, impressionable Chinese people and am very disturbed about their perception of foreigners.

But I beg to differ on your definition of "my kind".  Simply being a fellow foreigner does not make you "my kind".

Having said that, I do admit "most of us suck" was a poor choice of words that has caused a lot of misunderstanding.

• Ramz
    Ramz wrote:

essentially this all boils down to foreigners being the greatest ever.

• Elaine Xu
    Elaine Xu wrote:

写这么多啊。。。

好吧。。。

我不找了。。。

呵呵。。。

• Ramz
    Ramz wrote:

Pete, we're better.  It's ok to admit it, no one will fault you for speaking the truth.

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

"It always ends with a bunch of tears and a new hair style."

That's going to be the name of my next manuscript.

• Rebecca Dreiling

Blame Canada!

• Tian 王倚天

HEY..!!

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

Ha Ha! Well truthfully, if anyone was paying attention to the news last year our leading export to Asia seems to be pedophiles. :-(

• Rebecca Dreiling

LMFAO @ Peter! :) And people who spend their lives depending on the "news" for information about the world are most likely depressed, dellusional, paranoid pedophiles anyway.

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

Oh Peter, I'm not self loathing. Would that I could discuss Trailer Park Boys, Hockey Night in Canada and SCTV with my fellow countrymen. Problem is they are constantly are being shipped out of here for being total dickheads. I

Rebecca...if I don't get information from the news, where exactly would I get it? I am posing this as a sincere question. Due to the great Firewall we have very few sources of credible information here. Call me weird, but I like to know what's going on in the world. If what's going on is people from my country banging 13 year old Thai prostitutes that information is relevant , if only so I know how my country is represented on the world stage.

• Rebecca Dreiling

Peter, I think you take yourself way too seriously.

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

3...2 in Thailand one in China.

• Rebecca Dreiling

Peter Baird. Not INTP Peter. ;)

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

Rebecca, I think it's real easy to misunderstand people over the course of  forum discussions. I'm not taking myself too seriously, but perhaps I misunderstood you. It's all good.

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Here's an interesting bit of immigration trivia about the world's lamest country: for some reason, people are moving there in droves. According to Wikipedia, Canada has the highest per capita immigration rate in the world.

On a yearly basis, 15% of those are from China's mainland, or about 30,000 per year since 2000.

That's just silly.

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

That was tongue-in-cheek. Yeah, I've been to Toronto. Not a bad spot.

Love the slogan. Pitch it to the Tourism Bureau.

• Tian 王倚天

We don't call Toronto by it's name anymore, it called the T Dot now

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.