Discussion » Beijing Life » Stereotypes

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

I'm reading the book Culture Shock:China by Kevin Sinclair. Good read. There is a pretty funny bit where he talks about the stereotypes many Chinese have about other nationalities and races. Very amusing...

Americans-All crazy, but also generous, friendly people led by treacherous warmongering politicians. If they are female, probably have sexual designs on innocent Chinese boys. If male, likewise, except these are on girls as well as boys.

Arabs-Constant tormentors of Western countries who keep Western barbarrians occupied outside China. Therefore good. Often encourage Islami extremism,  which causes ripples among the many millions of Muslims in China's north and west. Therefore dangerous and untrustworthy.

Australians-Acceptable as business partners. Generally, a rowdy, hard drinking people. A likeable bunch of lunatics who speak an incomprehensible dialect.

Blacks-Sex-crazed, drug addicted womanisers who want to attack Chinese females. suspected of having AIDS, black marketing and smuggling. Also, totally beyond the pale because they are black. Also, assumed to be great dancers.

British-Devious, tough, ruthless and brutal. Not to be trusted in any deal unless there is an obvious advantage for them that will make them keep their word. For reasons no Briton can understand, the Chinese think them stylish.

Canadians-Nice, honest, open and generous farmers who can be trusted. Easy to do business with because they are a bit simple.

Filipinos-Brown Yankees who yodel and pluck guitars. Not serious people. But they are no threat to the Motherland, so they are tolerated.

French-Flamboyant and foppish, not serious but very artistic.

Germans-Clever, technically brilliant people, generally hard working, but often overweight and drunk.

Hong Kongers-Cunning Chinese with three piece suits and haughty manners, in China to make millions by providing sophisticated industrial infrastructure. Great that they have been back since 1997.

Indians-Toadies of Western liberalism whose addiction to democracy makes them totally untrustworthy. Also to be regarded with deep suspicion because of the recent emergence of Indian industry as a challenge to China's export-led economy.

Itallians-Cultural robbers who stole the idea of the noodle from China and called it spahgetti.Smooth and handsome romancers who drive fast cars. Watch out for them.

Japanese-Suspected of ulterior motives in offers to help develop China. Probably awaiting oppurtunities to rob China's riches and control the country. They did it before, how can we trust them again?

Latin Americans-Victims of grasping American bankers (which makes them good guys) and conspirators who flood the world with drugs (which makes them bad guys).

New Zealanders-Poor cousins to the australians, except the get drunk faster. Always complaining about everything and saying how much better it is back home. Why don't they go back?

Non-Chinese-Pitiful barbarrians who, if they become troublesome to China can speedily be kicked out of the country.

Russians-Brutal thugs itching to steal more northern territory from China. But they serve as an excellent lesson to 1.3 billion Chinese of what happens when totalitarian state collapses, therefore most useful to the leadership.

• Alex
    Alex wrote:

Try some chinese book since you are already foreigner, you dont want to understand chinese culture from outsiders' perspectives :P

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

I've read quite a few books on Chinese culture written by Chinese. Some are quite good. "My Country, My People" by Lin Yutang is a good example. But with many a big flaw tends to be they only focus on the positive and ignore the negative, which paints a pretty one sided and inaccurate picture.

BTW I wouldn't exactly call Sinclair an outsider. He is a native of Hong Kong who has worked in China off and on since 1983. He has the rare ability to understand China from both the point of view of a native and a visitor. This is what makes the book so good.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Now, now, gentlemen, no need to get personal ... Peter was just summarising what he had read ...

As far as "Australian" is concerned, I dont fit in the stereotype of the drinking part

As far as "Hong Kong" is concerned, I dont wear three-piece

Damn ... who am I??

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

It's ok ... I did not see the ":P" at the end ...

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

"Non-Chinese-Pitiful barbarrians who, if they become troublesome to China can speedily be kicked out of the country."

haha, i like this one, would be nice to be such a pitiful one.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.