Discussion » Film & TV » a kind of gamble

• Emily Xiao
    Emily Xiao wrote:

how do you think playing mah-jong with friends? 

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

For HK folks, this is a way to maintain contact with your friends ...

• Winnie
    Winnie wrote:

yes, Peter..as a sichuan person, we play mahjong because it's the most economic way to socialize...there were not many options when it comes to entertainment back then and ppl enjoyed sitting there talking with friends while maybe making some money...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

There is actually a lot of similarities between playing bridge versus playing MJ ... but because the number of tiles (or cards) is difference, so it might not be obvious.

When you get dealt a bad hand in bridge, you probably dont want to call it ... assuming your partner might not call, then you two are left to play defence ...

With MJ, there is 144 tiles (or 136 if you dont includes the "flowers") to play with, and it does not have a partner system as such, not fixed anyway. If someone seems to have a good hand, the others might play defence together, i.e. rather not win than to throw a tile that will give someone the winning edge.

Most people started learning MJ about how to have a winning hand, whether big or small hands, however, for people who had played 20 or 30 years, or even 60+ years like my late grandmother, the skills of MJ is in defence, not offence, Simply put, MJ is about strategy, not just winning ... every normal person knows that it feels nice to win, but if you have to lose, minimise your losses is more important.

I have been playing MJ since school days, and I have not played it for a few years. I dont consider myself a good player, but the use of tactics, psychology, strategies, i.e. the whole thinking process, would always fascinates me.

There is simply too much to talk about MJ, for such a small forum thread, if anyone is interested, there are tonnes of web sites and books teaching people how this games can be player ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

oops .. did I say "can be player"? I meant to say "can be played", sorry...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.