Discussion » Beijing Life » How do you feel of teaching in China?

  • Janet Peng
    Janet Peng wrote:

    Teaching English in China? Is it fun or just a tool of making money?

  • L Yi
    L Yi wrote:


  • Rico337
    Rico337 wrote:

    Let me help you there:

    How do you feel about teaching in China?

    Teaching English in China? Are you doing it for fun or just to make money?


    There should be a third option too -

    Or because you enjoy teaching English?


    My brother is teaching English here, he loves it.

  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

    If it was just for the money, I'd be in Korea. I made 33,000 dollars a year in Canada. My salary here doesn't even compare, although I do save more money.

     I do it because I like my job. I basically get paid to talk to people, and I take pride in the fact that I have a positve eefect on peoples lives. And the fact that I work a 20 hour week and get 6 months off a year doesn't hurt either.

      Having sad that, it can be a pain in the ass at times. Lazy, unmotivated students, students who cheat, inefficient administration, scheduling conflicts, lack of communication, faulty equipment-it ain't all gravy.

     I should say that on the whole I simply enjoy teaching. I hope to continue my career as an ESL teacher in other countries one day.

  • Hendry Yuan
    Hendry Yuan wrote:

    Leisurely pace of life

    Not for money


  • Janet Peng
    Janet Peng wrote:

    The truth is most of English teachers here don't really have a degree of education. They just speak English and they get a job. That's just why when I know a person who has two degrees (one Education and one Science) and teach here, i was so impressed. That is real teacher. Real teacher may enjoy teaching. But not all of them.


  • Richie
    Richie wrote:

    I'd seen some email replies from so-called 'teachers' from a training center (which seems to be quite popular) giving a minimum of 'A' grade for articles (mostly with a max of 5 sentences) with 80% mistakes!!!!

    Do I need to say anything further?

    However I do believe there are few good ones too. Definitely not the one above trying to prove his innocence! LOL...

  • Janet Peng
    Janet Peng wrote:

    Hey~~~~No arguements here. I just want to know how people think of teaching in China. No matter they have degrees or they don't have degrees.  No matter they only want adventure here, or they only want to make money here.

    Peter was right. Foreigners did bring something that China-born teachers couldn't provide. As long as they teach by heart, really enjoying with kids, I don't see huge problems.

    But the kind of "teacher" Richie mentioned are really annoying! They don't deserve the pay for foreigner teachers.

    It's all about responsibility!  

  • 巴特
    巴特 wrote:

    I am computer major, taught some part time in Dell English and ABC English, and had connections with management of all top schools. It is sometimes not as good as it looks.. there are some really nice and professional teachers and managers but then there are some rotten eggs too... I felt so ashamed that i quit teaching.. even though my students loved me and i was paid very well.

  • Aurélien
    Aurélien wrote:

    Very interesting thread~


    But what about other languages ? I would like to know if something like French teacher was a good idea ? I mean.... I'm 20... I have no teaching degree, but will I be able to work as a teacher/assistant ?


    I really would like to help people improve my native language, and already did it with people from USA, UK, SPAIN, JAPAN, ARGENTINA etc...


    I was just thinking about it... If you have any info, please let me now !

  • Keera Lee Farrington

    to li han lun

    the girl is just trying to open up a discussion and you knew full well what she meant as otherwise you wouldnt have corrected her, which was a bit pedantic , dont you think.



  • Janet Peng
    Janet Peng wrote:

    We have French teacher in our school. He is a Canadian, from Quebec. His French class is very popular. Children love to learn foreign language other than English.

    But we don't hire teachers without a degree normally.


  • Checkered
    Checkered wrote:

    its supa boring for most native speaker s

  • Aurélien
    Aurélien wrote:

    @ Janet : Lol, I always wondered how can Canadians can teach french in foreign country. They have really strong and different accent from French, and it would kill me to hear a Chinese talking like that ! It's kinda like someone who wants to learn putonghua and in fact learn sichuanese.... Kind of... It's not a bad thing but... Funny ;D !

    But thank you so much for the infos ! ;)

  • Janet Peng
    Janet Peng wrote:

    So poor him! Our English teacher says he has strange French accent when he teaches English, and now u said he must has strong and different accent from “real" French. I don't know what to say.

    But our kids love him, thats enough!

  • Liv Law
    Liv Law wrote:

    I'm an English teacher. Ideally, i'd really like to make a balance, for my students and for myself. However, it's really hard to fight aginst the social encironment and sereotype. Almost all the people, or say, my students are learning English as a tool as a money earner, but not for interest or enjjoyment. It's a tragedy.....

  • Janet Peng
    Janet Peng wrote:

    Use that as a tool to make money, no problem at all.

    But language for me is just like entertainment. I like speak English. I like when people ask which country have u been, where did u learn English or do u have a foreign bf while I haven't had a chance to go abroad yet. Even though sometimes I feel a little bit embarrased when talking with people in English, but I still love to do that.

    Teach English, I did that before. Sometimes it feels good to be a teacher. But most of the time, i don't like teach. Not because i don't like kids, but need more personal time after work.

  • Victor
  • Janet Peng
    Janet Peng wrote:

    Ad? funny!

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)


    "like speak English"? "like teach"? Janet, did you say you were an English teacher?

    Anyway ... I have been in BJ for 3+ years, and just because I dont look the look (I am overseas Chinese), nor talk the talk (I dont have American accent), I had been denied to teach English in Beijing (or I just have not looked at the right place). I have talked to a certain "Sarah" on this site, who would not mind paying someone to practice English, but she insisted on learning American accent.

    Now, as most people know, English is just a language ... like Chinese, or pu-tong-hua ... and like not every Chinese can speak proper 京腔 (proper pu-tong-hua), not all westerners speak British accents or American accent, but we still communicate quite well.

    To answer Janet's question, I think all people started teaching English for money, but some of them explored the opportunities along the way, and moved onto other work, or found relationships, and even set up families.

    My dear mother had been a teacher for 30+ years at the same school, and her students include some very well known celebrities in Hong Kong. She told us for many years that, you need to LOVE teaching to become a teacher, and you can imagine her devotion to her job. She is like a second mother to all her "kids" that sometimes I felt jealous, hahaha, silly me!

    So, to really have fun as a teacher, one must really become a teacher, but not just passing time ... whether there was any proper training or education in relation to teaching, it is really not that important.


Please login to post a reply to this thread.


WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc