It seems like the speed of WeLiveInBeijing varies a lot from users to user. I'm starting this thread and hoping people will help us figuring out how to keep improving the user experience :-)
Here's some info to take in concideration:
- Our DB is currently in Norway, from here I have a ping reply on an average of 513ms. I'm sure the connection and hardware in Norway is not the bottleneck - only the distance (14 hops)
- JS, images and CSS are hosted in Amazon S3 servers outside China, like Hong Kong and Japan.
- Outside China, WeLiveInBeijing is lightning fast - like in HongKong.
- Some say they cant connect to the site at all. Does schools or other public locations with internet block all outside-china content?
- Does some ISP's in China have special regulations, or bad link to our locations?
- 80% of our users uses IE6, which is a 8 year old browser (and slow as fuck..) Could this be one of the reason?
I'm happy to receive feedback on any of these or other issues! :-)