Discussion » Nonsense » why do you have an english name?

• Duan 春晖
    Duan 春晖 wrote:

the frenchman asked:"because the American?"

• Duan 春晖
    Duan 春晖 wrote:

the frenchman asked:"because the American?"

• Liu Jia
    Liu Jia wrote:

Well, I don't have a English name... Actually I really enjoy Laowai and my German colleagues trying hard to pronounce my Chinese name, just as I call them with their native names. That's quite fair, and of course sometimes hillarious, isn't it?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

To each his/her own opinion ... my English name was given to me by my mother, because it is the same name as the nurse in the hospital where I was born ... yes, my name is apparently uni-sex.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

When I was in Australia, most people made fun of my Chinese name...

When I am in Beijing, no one can pronounce my English name ...

• NN
    NN wrote:
    hmm...I have a nice chinese name,so to be balanced,I have an english name :)))
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

And yours is indeed very nice ... my mother has the same name

• Winnie
    Winnie wrote:

i didnt get a chance to give myself a chinese one, thought it'd be nice at least to give myself an english one.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

身体发肤,受之父母...your name should present the heritage of the family, and I would never want to change mine, nor would I give myself another name, no matter how difficult it might be to pronounce it...

However, it would make life a lot easier to have a western name.

• Beach
    Beach wrote:

i dont have a english name, it's latin/spainsh /italian...

• Pomatree
    Pomatree wrote:

only to hide your real self. get one. get any name.

• Garina Y
    Garina Y wrote:

for work.. required by our firm

• 关震
    关震 wrote:

Seriously, why do we need English name???!! never see japanese people use english name at all~~~~~~~

Isnt it embarrassing when people find out the name that u use is not ur offical name at all????? I have a friend working in Brisbane and one day her pervious boss sent her a mail to her current company and no one really knew who was this person. Then eventually it got lost......

Well, maybe u think its cool or fashionable in china to ask people calling u, say, Jenny, Saline, or Amanda.........but its just super stupid, ignorant and shallow in my humble opinion!!!!!!!

@叮当, thats why i said "外国的月亮比中国圆" works for many chinese people.

• Garina Y
    Garina Y wrote:

hehe normally in my company we sometimes make fun on pronouncing the english name in its chinese translation, such as my manager who is fr HK named: John . we normally called him :约翰!(Yue- Han\)like: Manager 约翰,there is a call for you... can u read it ? haha

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

关震 ... there are many reasons for people to have English (or western) names, not necessary because it is fashionable ... in my case, my English name is my Christian name, being a Roman Catholic ... not because of the moon, hahaha

I agree that people should not change and/or choose name as they like, but sometimes it is convenient to have a western name that is easy to pronounce and be remembered by ...

There are many people in Hong Kong who had chosen Japanese names instead of western name, e.g. Yumiko, Suki ... does it mean that the moon in Japan is better the one in Hong Kong? Or some of them chose names like Queenie, Stephy ... and these are not even proper English names.

Northern Chinese seem to prefer addressing people with "小" as a prefix, for example, 小关 or 小震 ... but in the western world, that does not exist, hell, it does not even exist with different Chinese dialet ... for example, I know that most people in Hong Kong do not prefix with "小", and also dont like to address people with just the given name because it is rude ... in the dark ages, we sometimes suffix with "仔" for the guys, for example, "李仔", "陈仔" are common, though "关仔" might have sounded strange ... but there was not one for the ladies, hence western name becoming popular in Hong Kong ...

• 关震
    关震 wrote:

I dont think its a good idea to clearify things by demostrating the addressing system in HK which has been colonised by UK for a century. Many things in HK were modelled on British ones and mixed with Chinese culture. therefore, its not really helpful to calm down the confusion here.

Yeah, u'r right. the systems vary in different regions in China for sure. I was simply just saying that if ur english name is not registered as your official name then there is no need for u to fake one.

Chinese names based on the inflexion, consonant and vowel clusters are hard for non-chinese speakers to pronounce for sure, such as "Zh", "Ch" and " uan" "ian" or "iang". But you can always use one of the syllables for ur name. in my case, " zhen" is a bit hard to for australian to pronounce and every time they try it they ended up saying " zen" which made me feel like a buddha or something......so i just use my family name " Guan" coz at least thats one of my official names on my passport.

Im not buying having English name for work at all and I believe if u insist on using ur real name, ur boss wouldnt say anything about it. It is the subconscious inferiority complex that matters!!!  I saw MILLIONS of times when caucasian people asked things to local chinese in CHINESE and they ended up getting their answers in English!!! and that just really pissed me off!  Well, we got people from overseas here and they probably could tell you how many times they experienced that in China and how pleasant and flattering it was!!!!!  I just want to throw up and kick their arse when i picturing chinese people in a chinese firm calling each other with the fake english names!

Like my friends name, Xu XiaoXu. it would be a hard one for Australian. But he asked people to call him “Xu" and with the australian accent they did and its identifiable.

叮当, if u r smart enought, u would understand where im coming from. its not about a foreign name and its more about ur attitude towards ur own culture!!!!  Our beautiful culture built up by our ancestors r losing because of our stupid government!  We can still keep pretending to be the big guy and blaming Japan and Korea stealing our culture but soon u will probably realise that they really built up something else or honestly something better based on that and make it their own. Yeah, u can say im a patriotic freak but im patriotic in terms of culure not politics!  You can keep sending the political propagandas and put the public up to burning japanese flags and smashing their stores in china and that just presents the rest of the world nothing but a gang of barbarians!!!!!!

So chinese people, please cherish ur culure and its the least u can do.....

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

So, do you agree that foreigners should get a Chinese name? Most of the foreigners get a Chinese name because they want to be remembered ...

Let me tell you something about my "local" experience in Beijing ... my surname is actually 刘, and it is spelt "Lau" on all my ID, but for some stupid reason, the company I worked for (by the way, supposedly an American company) decided to change my name to "Liu" on my name plate ... in fact, they changed the spelling of my entire Chinese name to use pin-yin, and I had no choice but refused to use it, because that was not my name ...

• Aurélien
    Aurélien wrote:

I'm French and don't have any English name. It's just stupid. And well, it's funny to see that nobody can say Aurélien properly x)!

I have a Chinese name, just because a friend of mine called me like this. Well... It's not really mine...It's more like a nickname, or something...

Hmm... But 90% ofthe Chinese students in France have a French name, not English... I guess Chinese people want some exotism by using foreigners' names? And westerners want some exotism by trying to get some Asian Girls haha!

• 闫捷
    闫捷 wrote:

come on...haven't you ever considered using English names just for convenience sake? what's all the fuss?

• 关震
    关震 wrote:

@闫捷

o, wats all the fuss???? Thats just one BRILLIANT question that i've heard in these days!

U like to be convenient; lets just be that way. Have u ever consider not wearing any bras just for the sake of convenience?? Not, u probably havent coz u hav BOOBs!!!!!!

See, culture just defines things in the same way as gender does for the way of thinking. If u r not a crossdresser or transexual, you would be quite clear about the boundary line, wouldnt u??

• くり
    くり wrote:

english names are funny and considering that not onlz chinese also english native speaker always spell wrong my name im considering to get a english name: bob?

• Yang Scorpio
    Yang Scorpio wrote:

This title is also the question asked by my tutor in Edinburgh.  She felt curious almost all chinese students have english but japanese and korean only use original.

I was suddently aphemic. Later on  I said chinese people always consider to bring the convenience to people and leave difficulty to self. this's called "懂事".

• くり
    くり wrote:

well if this is true there would be a much more easier assignment chinese people should start to do: not call people laowai.Behind their back,on the streets and last but not least on magazines and newspaper...

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW wrote:

My chinese name has two characters, not like the three characters names, 林青霞,people just call the girl: Qing Xia, actually that's nice to hear and very few chance to make any confusion among all the people. My english name is exactly used for convenience, it came from our english teach when I was in primary school. For sure I cherish my chinese name always, But english name appears as a very important role in my life. There was only one problem, my english name is so common that I always received "confidential" e-mails from my careless clients, which supposed to send them to another shirley... :P

• くり
    くり wrote:

well peter, about the melting pot maybe u can refer to NY or California but i got not less friend,chinese,who went to US and felt not that way....i suggest u if u read chinese following book 中国不高兴

• くり
    くり wrote:

no comment...

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

Da Fan, that's my Chinese name, easy to pronounce, haha. Many of my friends call me "Fanta"...fine, but its not a english name, just a nickname. Actually i have a english name coz my firm requested it, but my co-workers and i merely use it. Of course, I agree with some of you guys, its totally ok to have a foreign name, no matter what is the reasons behind. I've gave suggestion to so many foreign guys on their Chinese name, it's cool and fun.

Alex, what's your Chinese name, I'm wondering, hehe.

Oh, one thing to mention: it's quit weird when some my newly knew authentic Chinese guys/gals came to me, introducing themself like "你好,我叫ABC", it's the only circumstance that the question come to my mind: "WTF?!!"

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.