Discussion » Nonsense » do you prefer chinese-trained or american-trained

• Gracie-Bear
    Gracie-Bear wrote:

i don't know if any american-trained doctors would actually want to work in china.... but thanks to our newly elected messiah, obama administration might have already nationalized health care, by the time i graduate from dental school. so, if you have the choice of choosing, who would you want to see? 

• Warren
    Warren wrote:

Consider this...I've seen many doctors in training from China at major American teaching hospitals. But, I haven't seen any American doctors here for traIning., unless they're here to learn more about TCM practices.

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

........its only teeth. I mean, oral surgery and routine dental work are 2 different things. There are plenty of reputable Chinese doctors out there who work for a fraction of their Western counterparts.

I went to the hostpital, got 10 stitches, pain killers, a 3 or 4 days supply of gause, all for less than 100 bucks with no insurance. I went another time and got a temporary cast, pain killers, and 2 x-rays for about 60 bucks.

That being said, there are many bad doctors out there and it is important to first investigate the practice regardless of where you are.

What do Chinese doctors have to do with nationalizing healthcare in the United States?

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

And I got a free chinese lesson : )

• Ivy
    Ivy wrote:

good luck~ I want  to get a free English  lesson : (   where??

• Gracie-Bear
    Gracie-Bear wrote:

chinese doctors only go through 4 years of medical training after high school. american doctors, on the other hand, have to go through 4 years of undergrad, 4 years of med school, and at least 4 years of residence program.  no to mention the board tests, osha training, cpr training, and loads of other health and safety crap.

to shane, lol not only you get a free chinese lesson, you also might get killed or catch HIV from injection~ i'm just saying..

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

Wow, I agree on the point that 4 years education is a little scary. Still, I say there are PLENTY of great Chinese doctors out there, but you gotta know where to go. This sums up how I feel:

My brother had a urine tract infection. He is in a wheelchair and it isn't easy for him to leave our house when he has a 102 degree fever. Everyone knew it was this, he gets them frequently. We called the doctor. In order to issue the antibiotic we needed we had to do a urine test. In order for them to RELEASE a cup so that we could collect a urine specimin ourselves (spare my brother the trouble of going to the hospital) we had to call ANOTHER doctor and wait A FULL DAY!

In short : To get a cup to piss in, they wanted us to "schedule an appointment" and refused to just give us the fucking cup so we could collect the specimen ourselves without an appointment or approval from some other doctor.

You can go to school for 12 years, and I will still go to the reputable Chinese doctors for all my teeth cleanings and other basic care. I think our medical system is great and amazing and all that but the fucking lawyers started to ruin it (with the rest of our country) a long time ago.

And what does nationalizing healthcare have to do with this? I still don't get it.

Have you ever been in a chinese hospital before? You should go and check it out, you can go inside for free. Its quite an experience, i'd suggest it.

• Gracie-Bear
    Gracie-Bear wrote:

first, it's not right of the government to provide healthcare. nationalizing healthcare just makes it easier for the government to control us through medicine.  consequently, the quality of care will plummet with everyone getting eventually the same treatment, and the wait time to get surgery will be a LOT longer (for example, see Canada and UK), which will cause unnecessary deaths.  

everyone in the US already have free access to the emergency room.  in the ideal world, the ER should deny treatment to illegal immigrants and people without health insurance.  those people essentially abuse our healthcare system.  if they're not even responsible enough to get health insurance, why should the government be responsible for their health?because the ER is "free" (by free, i mean paid by responsible taxpayers like me), people go in for free treatment and medication even when it's really not an "emergency" situation.  when i had to go to the ER last week, after taking a bad fall from my bunk bed, i had to wait almost an hour in the waiting room before the doctor could see me. the waiting room was filled coughs and sniffs, and almost no one spoke english.  if i speak spanish, i would just tell them to go home, take some aspirin, and they will be fine. luckily, i only had some minor head injuries, strained neck muscles, and a bad contusion on my chest.  in the end, i only paid $50 copay, and my insurance company took care of the rest. 

and yes, i have been inside several chinese hospital (i actually live right next to beijing medical university's 3th hospital). you're right about it being quite an experience.  i saw doctors prescribing XiYao, imported medication, which the patients didn't really need.  i saw a man on his knees begging an ER doctor to treat his son, but the doctor refused because he did not have any money.  (btw, in china, you need to pay first before you could get the treatment)

anyway, all this is kinda related to dentistry. if we nationalize healthcare/dental care, why should i become a better dentist? by the end of the day, i get paid the same as some crappy dentist who pulls out the wrong tooth (this actually happened to a friend of mine in china).  and you, my dear future patient, don't get to choose your dentists because the government has assigned one for you.  

• Gracie-Bear
    Gracie-Bear wrote:

wow.. i wrote a lot.. :]

• Tian 王倚天

The training standard is mostly the same, so does it really matter if it's American or Chinese?

Peter: you may not believe in Qi, just like I didn't believe in "balance" when the doctor told me thats how I injured my shins, can't find Balance on the xray, but it's there niggah!

• Carissa
    Carissa wrote:

i prefer chinese natural doctors, but most time i can't have enough time to see natural doctors, that is bad. but i want to say, not every one can be a good natural doctor after trained in school, that is harder

• Gracie-Bear
    Gracie-Bear wrote:

bump

• Warren
    Warren wrote:

Tian...actually you can find the source of balance - it's called the vestibular organ (next to the inner ears) and we have two of them. They're next to each of the cochlear organs that control the hearing sense. Can you tell me the location for Qi?

Grace...nice essay on comparing medical care systems. What you say is very true plus if you don't have any guanxi with any doctors you're going to have to wait hours and hours to be seen by a doc tor. I disagrre with your comment that illegal immigrants and those without insurance should be denied free treatment. I believe that Western medical practice is based on the belief that medical treatment is a human right. Also, there are basically two types of hospitals - public and private. Public hospitals must treat anyone. The private hospitals can legally turn down anyone who can't pay and send them to the public hospital. Of course, that's in the big cites. I'm not sure how it works in the small cities.

• Gracie-Bear
    Gracie-Bear wrote:

warren: i know it's cruel to deny patients treatments, but someone has to pay for their healthcare. i think private charities should take over the emergency room... after i graduate from dental school, which is 7 years from now, i will probably volunteer to treat homeless and people w/out dental care. however, i don't want to be forced to treat patients who don't even care about their own lives. 

• Warren
    Warren wrote:

Dental and medical care providers are free to make their own choices, Grace. Some choose private practice, some do volunteer work with the poor and yet others choose to work with the poor in public clinics and hospitals. Your suggestion of private charities funding emergency clinics is really good, but there aren't enough to go around. Right now, it looks like taxpayers who can afford insurance will be supporting those who can't... indefinitely. That being said...I can  accept how you feel about treating patients who don't care about their lives. But, that's quite different from those who are destitute and can't pay for good health care.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.